Exploring Austin — The Drag: University Co-Op

Popular store for Longhorn fans provides scholarships for students

Adriana Galindo

The University CO-OP is a popular destination for UT enthusiasts to buy longhorn gear

Adriana Galindo, Staff Writer

University Co-Op is one of the oldest businesses on the Drag, making it a popular shopping destination for UT students and an institution for fans of the Texas Longhorns.

While the Co-Op started out as mostly a textbook store for UT students, it has become a major shopping destination for anyone looking for Burnt Orange gear to show of their university pride.

With their reasonable prices they have come a long way and have been a great support for UT students. Today it is the go-to spot for fans looking for souvenirs, T-shirts and other game day gear. The Co-Op’s first location on the Drag was built in 1917. In 1947 the store was expanded with an addition of a second floor, featuring a radio and record shop that sold popular 12” record albums.

In the 1950s the store became one of the most successful bookstores in the nation and had become a million dollar business with a staff of 65.

In 1959 the store expanded again, purchasing the lot next door in order to provide more convenient service to students. By then the university’s enrollment figures had reached almost 20,000.

Thee store’s charter was updated in 1967 to become a non-profit store and in 1977 it became a tax exempt business.

Giving back to the university has always been at the heart of the Co-Op’s mission. Every year the Co-Op offers scholarships to UT students and has made large financial contributions to the university for building projects and special programs.