Exploring Austin — Barton Springs: Sculpture Garden

Courtesy of Larry D. Moore

Umlauf’s The Kiss is the centerpiece of the sculpture garden pond. Another of his bronzes, The Diver, stands playfully at the water’s edge.

Ashley Sanchez, Life & Style Editor

Austin’s Zilker Park is famous for offering the perfect blend of land and water activities, but it has a hidden jewel that offers a different kind of recreational experience.

The Umlauf Sculpture Garden and Museum is tucked away off of Robert E. Lee Road near the intersection with Barton Springs Road. It officially opened to the public in 1991. Charles Umlauf, the former owner of the property there decided to gift his home, art studio and 168 sculptures to the City of Austin.

The sculpture garden also offers  classes and workshops for all ages, including kids to learn how to make crafts. It also hosts summer camps and different workshops such as art exploration and photography classes.

For those looking for relaxation, the sculpture garden makes the perfect setting to practice yoga.  People also choose this specific garden for photography and beautiful scenery.

It displays various art exhibits, including the works of famous movie and TV actress Farrah Fawcett, who was one of Umlauf’s students when she lived in Austin.  The exhibit features never before seen art made by both Charles and Farrah.