Students crave more than average school food

Students’ eyes hungrily search for overflowing boxes of snacks, chips, and a variety of junk food; even boxes of chocolate.

Everyone all over campus at some point has craved something more than the average school food, which slowly has lost most of it’s best attributes.

Not surprisingly, evidence of a black market of fast food and sugary drinks has filled the trash cans around Akins at the end of each day.

These foods and drinks have not been officially sold on campus, because the state banned their sale on high school campuses about 10 years ago.

However, somehow students find ways to either bring these banned items with them from home or they have a senior friend who will bring lunch back with them when they go off campus.

Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller has recognized that it is impossible to completely restrict access to french fries and soda and is proposing lifting the ban on deep-fat fryers and soda in vending machines.

The Agriculture Commission is currently reviewing comments from the public about the proposal and could implement the changes as soon as the next school year.

Miller isn’t forcing any schools to implement the machines, it is up to each individual school district throughout Texas to decide if they want to or not.

In doing so, he is promoting more local control and less state regulation, and so french fries and Coca-Cola might not start showing up in the cafeteria right away, or at all.

Furthormore, parents play a big role in the lives of their children, and their children don’t have to eat food provided by the school if parents deem it too unhealthy for them.

The current ban is simply not effective at stopping obesity.

But students should be able to eat what they like, and therefore the school should provide the resources for them.

Photo of Nic Sokolowski
Nic Sokolowski, News Editor
Grade: 12th

Academy: New Tech

Year on Staff: 3rd

Title: News Editor

Why they are on staff? Because I love the experience of sharing what I want with the school and other members on staff.

What do you do for fun? I listen to music and talk to friends, normal stuff.

Plans for after high school? I just want to have an awesome time after high school and keep doing new things.

Hidden Talent (optional): None, I'm not talented.