Students react to the presidential election results

November 10, 2016

Donald Trump’s discouraging win over Hillary Clinton has left many Akins students distraught over the prospect of what his presidency will be like. I think that it is upsetting that we chose

Trump as our president because it feels like an endorsement of all his bad behavior including his bullying and misogyny.

Trump has made multiple comments during his speeches that have disrespected Hispanics, Muslims, those with physical handicaps and many other groups of people. It’s just not behavior befitting the president of the United States.

Various students have strong reactions when the results of the election that became known on Nov. 9.

“I was really mad at that the fact that America chose Trump over Hillary because America doesn’t understand that Trump is gonna bring us down more,” said senior Dominque Huizar. “They believe everything (which is all lies) he says and that he is going to ‘make America great again’ when it was already great.”

She said Trump is a selfish man who doesn’t care about anyone except himself.

Other people said Trump’s campaign was not focused on important issues.

Senior Jordan Rouse said that there is something wrong with the country because he doesn’t understand how people could vote for Trump.

“Throughout the campaign he’s always tried to put something off onto Clinton’s emails. Whenever a serious question comes up, he’s like ‘let’s talk about Hillary for a second’ so we can get the focus off of me,” Rouse said.

And other Akins students said they are upset to not see Hillary elected as the first female president.

Trump does not deserve to be the next president of the United States, sophomore Andrea Sanchez said.

Some said that neither candidate would have done what they wanted them to do.

Rouse believes that thinks Hillary could have been just as bad as Trump.

“Either way it would’ve been bad. I mean there is disadvantages to either person becoming the president,” he said.

Junior Kelly Polacheck said he does not think Donald Trump will necessarily be a bad president.

“Donald Trump may not be the worst president we’ve ever had,” he said. “We don’t know what is going to happen next, but it’s foolish to act like the world is going to end because when you think about it, what’s the worst that he can do?”

Aylin on Akins: Akins reacts to Trump’s election win

Henry Dominguez

History is at crucial time again, but I don’t believe it’s anything to be afraid of. Nothing to be afraid of, as long as we don’t allow those in power to abuse that said power. We’ve moved on from worse times, and we can progress. I don’t care that Trump won, and I’m not upset that Hillary lost. But I am disturbed. I’m disturbed, by how this election was run, embarrassed even. I’m disturbed, that despite how much we’ve advanced as a nation we’ve allowed ourselves to repeat history.

We’ve come so far, fighting for people to have a right to their diversity. We’ve come so far, fighting for people to a have a right to believe in what they believe in. We’ve come so far, fighting for people to a have a right to their perspectives. We’ve come so far, fighting for people to a have a right at what they can say. But these are being bruised, not just by those in power, but by normal everyday people, by us.

Everyone should state their current state of being, it’s a right, but it’s how it’s being channeled recently, the excess, that needs to stop. When we start inflicting pain unto others for having ideas, or perspectives different from ours, that’s when we really start to lose everything that we’ve fought for up to this point.

I am upset that people are saying things that they would usually never say. I am upset that people are doing things that they would usually never do. But because they believe that they have power on their side, or have had a wrong done against them, they are saying things and doing things that they otherwise would have never said or done. I am upset that people in my generation are apart of this.

Communication, a human fundamental is now not only at the hands of our elders, but at the fingertips of our fellow youths. It is now a leisure. It is a leisure that we need to use to our advantage. We are literally the future, the change, and it is at this time that we need to use that said leisure as an opportunity to be that change so that future generations never have to see an election as embarrassing as this one was ever again, and so that they never have to experience or see a social imbalance as dramatic as we are seeing today.

I am not upset with what was decided yet, but I am disturbed. I am upset though, with how so many people are choosing to respond. I will not hear or see what happened today, happen again tomorrow, but I can’t do that alone. Because the future includes you. If you see inequality anywhere in our world, speak up and act. If we don’t, we might meet a day where we no longer can. We decide that. I will not meet that day. We need to stop overthinking and stop underacting. We need to stop complaining about the mistakes that were made today and fix them to move forward. What we decide to do to now, decides our tomorrow.

Ashley Massie

I’m truly disgusted. “America will no longer settle for anything less than the best,” Donald Trump stated this in his acceptance speech, but it seems as if we honestly have settled for the worst. This election has slapped women all over the U.S. across the face. It has provided us with the message that even if a woman is the best by far, she will still never be good enough.

Trump is a pig who should not be known as “President of the United States.” I sat watching the red bar increase wondering how our country has come to accept a racist, sexist, and overall immature person as president. And like it or not, he will be looked up to by young men, which scares me because I, as a woman, would never want any male in my life to speak to me or about me the way Trump speaks of women. To say he can do anything to a female due to his position is revolting, then to dismiss it as “locker room talk” is even worse. To say something so crude and for our country to allow him to brush it away like it’s nothing truly makes me cringe and saddened by my country.

Trump stated  “I’m going to bring the jobs back from China,” but for who? For the white man or for the country? He talks about bringing jobs back to the U.S. but doesn’t address the current problems we already have in our work force. Women earn 78 cents to the dollar when compared to men, so when are we gonna fix the wage gap there. And that’s only the wage gap based off of sex, what about race? Who are the people making the most in this country? The white men, so before you bring more jobs here Trump, I suggest you fix the problems we already have.

Then there’s NAFTA, a system that allows trade in North America to run smoothly. Trump wants to raise taxes on imports from Mexico from 16% to 35%, and if he can’t negotiate that, he said he’d just rip up the agreement completely. Yes, let’s just get rid of a system that has worked well, whether he believes it or not, for 2 decades now. And yes NAFTA has it’s faults, but it allows there to be less conflict when it comes to trade in North America and with improvements to the system, it could provide with even more benefits. So I suggest trying to fix the agreement, not by raising taxes on imports, but in other ways before you rip up the whole agreement.

Oh and let’s just remind everyone that Trump has absolutely no political background. He has business background with 5 bankruptcies and 11 failed companies. I’m sure he’ll do a great job of running a country of over 318 million.

In conclusion, I sit here on November 9, 2016 truly disgusted, mortified, and saddened by my country’s choices. A once proud American, I am now embarrassed by my country.  

“No matter what happens, the sun will rise in the morning.” This quote from Obama is the only thing currently keeping me going during this depressing day. I call to my country to wake up and focus on the things that we as country need to fix instead of blindly following an idiot like Trump.

Alyssa Luna

So today is November 9th of 2016. Today Donald Trump won the election and I’m sooooo freaakkkinnn pissed.

I’m so disappointed in the people that voted for him and also in the people that could’ve made a difference by voting but decided not to because they couldn’t take a few minutes out of their day to change the U.S!

I usually have respect for people’s opinion but in this case I have 0 respect. How can you vote for a man that’s said so many disrespectful things about women and is also racist? I feel like Donald Trump won because people are scared to let women be in charge. They think that we can’t do the same things that men can and that is not true.

Women can do all things that men do and more! I actually think Michelle Obama should have ran for president. She did so many great things while her husband was president. Just imagine the greater things she would do while she’s president. I know there’s nothing I can do to change it, but I still believe that Donald trump is not fit to be president.

#MAKEAMERICAGREATAGAINBYKICKINGHIMOUTOFOFFICE

Adriana Velasquez

“How do you feel?” everyone asks. How am I supposed to feel? Am I supposed to feel happy that we have a new president? How exactly am I supposed to feel is my question that I return to the public.

I feel scared, but fear is lack of faith. I know my God will never fail me or never leave my side. This is the time we all need to come together and pray for our country. Our country needs God more than ever.

I pray for Donald Trump, I truly do. I pray that he receives peace and wisdom. I pray that he sees the good in the Mexican culture. I dislike that he has made a label and cut all of them for whatever reason. I hope he realizes that not all Mexicans are the same.

It breaks my heart because a very close church member was born in Mexico and came to the United States when she was younger. She now has three little children and the oldest is 7. She goes to a public school. The parents of the children have put so much confusion into their child’s head about this election. Those children believe that “every Mexican will go back to Mexico.”

She went to sleep worried and woke up even more worried. She is worried for her family and friends. Her daughter goes to sleep in fear of her family being separated.