Follow Akins Journalism on Twitter
Recent Comments

New look coaching staff eager to start strong

Brand-new coaches step foot upon Akins fields, courts, and mats this year.

“It’s truly a great mix,” athletic director David Peavy said. “This year already I see great attitudes, they’ve changed drastically with the new mix of coaches. So far it’s been a great turn out.”

The female coaches and positions start off with Theresa Morgan as the new varsity softball coach. Tasha Ridgeway is the new JV volleyball and girls track coach. Ashley Hayes is the new head cross country and freshman girl’s basketball coach.

“I am busy, busy, busy. Volleyball is super busy, but its been a fun ride, everyone is so welcoming to keep my little head above water,” Ridgeway said. “I would love to coach here as long as I can, hard work pays off so I have to put in the hard work just like the kids are.”

The new male coaches and positions are Chris Randolph, who coaches’ varsity football and JV basketball. Also, Howard Guttmann coaches varsity football, and freshman baseball.

Kevin Hendrickson is the new assistant varsity football coach while Joe Kirksey is one of the two newest coaches for the wrestling team who, along with Kyle Alvarado, not only coaches wrestling but is also a member of the football staff.

Joseph Sax coaches football and boys basketball. Wade Ezell is a student teacher for the football team. Joe Mendoza is a former coach from Paredes Middle School, takes over as the new coach for the freshman girl’s basketball team.

The last addition to the staff Sherman Smith, who arrives on campus every afternoon for practice from his home school Mendez Middle School, to coach the freshman football team.

“Our new coaches and kids work real hard and we are coping well they wanted to make a good impression and you can see the bond between everyone,” Peavy said. “I see trust, the kids really trust us and it shows in the coaches and the kid’s performance. I know this is going to be a good year.”

This year, all the coaches, new and old, have one main goal: help the athletes set and achieve goals.