Player of the Issue: Chynna Rivera

Senior Chynna Rivera, a player with determination that deserved to be recognized for her hard work and dedication.

Jason Loosle, Multi-Media Editor

With stress from senior year, injuries and playing on the varsity basketball team at a 6A high school, there are many reasons why senior Chynna Rivera is worthy of mention.

Along with this  stressful task, she has also sent in video of her playing basketball, attracting nine colleges to recruit her to their schools.

Of the colleges that want her for basketball, three have offered her scholarships in basketball.

To get colleges to look at you playing basketball, players need to take video of themselves playing so recruiters can check out their skills.

“I’ve been sending out film of myself and been getting replies that they like what they see,” Rivera said.

Coaches also can help by sending student names out to colleges and providing  advice for what to do with colleges.

“I got most offers from playing Amateur Athletic Union basketball with my coach” Rivera said.

Rivera said she hopes to attend Tyler Junior College, one of many colleges offering her scholarships, and play basketball throughout college.

She wants to play basketball after college if it’s a possibility, but really wants to focus on getting through college and graduating with her degree.

“Basketball has made me a better person,” Rivera said. “It’s made me want to work harder to get where I want. It’s taught me to strive for what you want and never back down.”