Girls basketball kicks off the pre-season with first scrimmage

Cassie Obi

Sophomore Denae Lofton dribbles down the court after stealing the ball from the opposing team. The Akins varsity team prepares for the new season as they play their first scrimmage against the Bastrop Bears.

Jose Salazar, Staff Writer

The butterflies are fluttering in the stomachs of the Lady Eagles Varsity Basketball team.

Head Basketball Coach Jane Martin said the beginning of the basketball season produces the same sensation as a major holiday or birthday.

“It’s very exciting to work with the new team. It’s like Christmas for a basketball coach,” Martin said.

“It’s a new season and there are new kids, and it’s a new team, and I’m hoping for the best.”

The season officially began on Nov. 10 when the Eagles Varsity Girls basketball team went up against the St. Michael’s crusaders. Martin said she has full faith in each and everyone of her teams and expects them to make playoffs this year.

“I feel like we will surprise a lot of people this year. We are a very young team and the girls are very coachable,” Martin said. This year the girls don’t have a specific leader and instead treat each other more like a team of equals, Martin said.

“I placed the girls in specific teams based on their skill level, and their athletic ability, attitude and knowledge of how the game works,” Martin said.

Basketball coach, DeCreasha Goodner, said the team is currently in a process of rebuilding, since seven members of the varsity squad graduated last year.

“I feel like we can compete with any team in the district,” Goodner said.

“With the step up of leadership from couple players from the team I think we will be successful.” Goodner said she feels the girls basketball team is working toward common goals: to do great and earn a spot in playoffs. 

“Practice is easy because we know the people that we go against during practice and that the actual game is harder than practice,” Goodner said.

Senior Brooklyn Childers is one of the team members and feels that she’s ready to play.

“I think we’ll do good this season because we work together as a team.” Childers said.