Varsity team looks back on season as learning experience

Katrina Stewart, Staff Reporter

Winning.

It’s what keeps every sports team going, but ultimately cannot be the only motivating force to keep a team moving forward when the wins don’t come.

The Akins Varsity Football team started off strong, winning the first four out of five games by the end of September. Soon after, the wins began to dissipate and the team relied on school spirit to encourage them while facing the perennial district schedule as well as state champion teams.

“The Positivity that comes from the other students motivates the players to win another game, not just for them but for the students” football Head Coach Humberto Garza said.

The team made its first appearance at playoffs in 2013, and, has ever since, tried to prove that it wasn’t a one-time fluke. Despite not reaching the playoffs this year, the team enjoyed its share of highlights, including the first Homecoming game win in school history when it defeated the Lehman Lobos 31-10.

“The win was fantastic,” Garza said, “When I saw all the school spirit going on in the stands, I told the boys, ‘those people are here to see you and they believe in you.’ They played with that emotion and that helped them win.”

The team carried that win over the Anderson Trojans, in which marked the first time in school history the Eagles have won four games in a single season.

Despite the four losses in October including going up against powerhouse teams like the Lake Travis Cavaliers as the final season game, the players stayed positive about their chances.

“My teammates, coaches and all the people that came out to support us, kept us positive about our chances against these other teams,” senior wide receiver Jermaine Thomas said.

Varsity Running back, Kenan Lockhart states next year, they plan to bring a similarly strong mindset and to just work harder as a whole.

“We just want to bring the same mentality from this current season, but to work harder and stay mentally focused so we can put more of an impact then we did this year,” Lockhart said.

Garza will miss his senior players, but hope they continue to do what they love.

“I was really proud of my seniors this year, I think this has been the best senior class that we had come through here, not just their talent but also their leadership, and I hope they continue to pursue what they love to do” Garza said.

Some players even plan to carry out their current football careers into college, although they claim they will miss the team.

“It saddens me that this is my last year as an Eagle,” Thomas said. “But I’ve learned a lot from my teammates and coaches which I will take with me to whatever college and team I play with next.”

Before the Travis game, the team’s overall record was 4-4 and the district record was 2-4.

Despite the downfalls this season many of the senior players said they have high hopes for the next team.

“Never hold your head down, never limit yourself, never stop believing and enjoy every minute on the field, because time will expire before you know it,” Thomas said.