Student athletes juggle multiple sports each school year

Multi-sport athletes balance games, academics

Ricardo Villegas

A few Akins students play multiple sports, dedicating themselves to their love of the game. From left to right are Demarcus Cabezas, Analise Perez, Jennifer Lopez, Brittany Roberts, and Partick Dickerson.

Katrina Stewart, Staff Reporter

For many high school student athletes, one sport is hard enough to juggle with school, work and life in general.

But a select few value sports so much that they play two or three sports in the same school year. For these athletes, when one team’s season ends, another one begins, leaving little time to relax.

Although it can be a grueling routine to attend practice and compete late at night in games after school, sophomore Analise Perez said she does it for the love of the game. Perez plays basketball and track in addition to soccer, which she said is her strongest sport.

“I love competing against other teams; it keeps me busy,” Perez said. “I plan on playing soccer in college because I love the game.”
Just like Perez, sophomore Brittney Roberts plans to play the sport she’s most passionate about in college.

“I plan on playing volleyball for a D1 university. I have a strong passion for volleyball, and I really want to make volleyball a career,” Roberts said.

Although Roberts has a passion for volleyball it’s not the only sport she plays. She also plays basketball, and runs track.

“By playing these sports I’ve made amazing friends, it keeps me in good shape and opens up more college opportunities for me,” Roberts said.

While Perez works the field and Roberts shoots over the net, junior Jeniffer Lopez plans on dribbling past her opponents to take a shot at playing basketball in college.

“It would be a dream to play basketball in college because it’s my favorite sport,” Lopez said.

Lopez has decided to play both soccer and track this year. In the past year’s she has played volleyball, basketball and softball.

“I play all these sports because it keeps me motivated to keep my grades up,” she said. “Being on the field or court, makes me feel some type of way. It makes all my worries go away and for that period of time, I’m just playing and there’s no better feeling.”

Just like Lopez, junior Demarcus Cabezas has a similar love for sports. Since 7th grade Cabezas has played football, basketball, and track which will continue next year.

“Getting a scholarship for football would be incredible,” he said. “It was my first love as a child.”

These multi-athletes continue to play as many sports as they wish because they are aware of the benefits they could reap along with the enjoyment of playing these sports.