Girls basketball players focus on improving consistency in games.

Larry Durden

Girls varsity Head Coach Jane Martin gives senior V advice on a play during scrimmage versus St. Michaels High School.

Larry Durden, Staff Writer

Despite facing new teams in the new district, the girls varsity basketball are not sweating the their new opponents, and the team plans to focus on their consistency.

Head coach Jane Martin said the team is focused on “playing consistently at our level.”

Most basketball teams always have their minds set on going to the next level and winning district or making it to the playoffs. So for the girls, playing at a consistent level isn’t their only main focus.

The girls had a pretty decent season last year but Coach Martin and the girls know they can do better. “We want to do much better than we did last year, and hopefully make playoffs this year,” said Coach Martin. Coach Martin’s winning mentality is flowing the her players as well.

“We hope to win district or get the one of the top spots in district and we plan to make it to playoffs and of course try to win against whoever we face”. Said junior and team captain Denae Lofton.

“I think we will do great, we have a good team and good players so I think we can reach our goal of getting a championship” Said senior Vania Hampton also known as “V”.

But sometimes in all sports, teams fall short and sometimes teams can get discouraged. And with that comes all kind of different attitudes and feelings. But that’s why coach Martin is there to hold her players accountable, motivating them and also picking them up when they’re down.

“I make sure I encourage them in a positive way, even when they mess up,” she said. Martin said she hopes the girls are stay focused as they try and fulfill their hopes of making it to the playoffs