Tennis players win most individual matches in school history

Luis Correa

Spencer Michalke works on perfectly throwing up the ball and serving it during practice.

Ashley Sanchez, Life & Style Editor

Although small in numbers, the Akins tennis team is making big strides toward success this year, beating their individual wins record this fall season.

Junior Simon Carandang, captain of the tennis team, is ranked the best boy player, winning all of his individual games this fall season.

“It felt good but I don’t believe I’m the best player,” Carandang said.

Freshman Connor Harkins has experienced a comeback over the season, improving with in the season.

“Yes I felt good I have improved over the season. I lost my first two matches but then won my last two,” Harkins said.

There are also more individual winners this year for both girls and boys. Freshman Corinne Murray, who has played for 11 years, is ranked the best female player on the team, winning all of her individual games this fall season.

“I have been playing since I was 4,” she said. “I’m very honored because I worked really hard to get here.”

Akins tennis team has gotten a lot more players this season — half of them being experienced freshmen and returning players.

Although the fall season ended in October, tennis action will pick up again in the Spring. Tennis has two seasons with the fall season focusing on advancing as a team. In the spring players advance individually and as doubles or mixed doubles partners.

Carandang, who has been playing for about 3 years, said his motivation to start playing is unique.

“What got me into tennis was an anime called Baby Steps,” he said.

But both Harkins and Murray have different stories. Harkins got into playing tennis when he was in the 5th grade.

“My mom and grandmother got me into playing tennis, and my father is a tennis coach and has been playing his whole life, so of course I had to play tennis, too,” Harkins said.