A fighter’s journey through the boxing ring

Sweat drips down sophomore Isaac Lopez’s face as he swings towards the punching bag, preparing for another fight.

Lopez began the sport of boxing at the young age of eight but left the ring after a few years.

Once he left, Lopez’s life was headed towards a downward spiral.

“I was going through the wrong path in life. Always getting into trouble fighting in school and not going to classes. My mom had enough so she sent me to live with my dad,” Lopez said.

Lopez admits the causes of his past choices.

“I started acting out when I had a close friend of mine who I called my big brother, get shot and then pass away,” Lopez said. “Things were going wrong and I was just angry.”

Needing to find an outlet for anger, Lopez’s dad found a boxing gym close to their house. There he was able to feel a sense of gratification.

“I loved fighting so I tried it out. Ever since the first day I started I never missed a day of training,” Lopez said.

Since starting up again it’s been a passion of his that’s taken him through six tournaments. In all 32 fights he has only lost seven. After hard practicing he has been able to participate in various matches and tournaments all around Texas.

Once he got serious about boxing, his mom, Maria knew he was going to get far.

“I see the passion he has for the sport. I see potential in him doing great things with boxing,” she said. “He’s a naturally gifted athelete.”

Since then he’s also been able to meet his now close friend, Tino Rivera.

“He’s like my older brother. We train everyday together to get better,” Lopez said.

After awhile Lopez moved back in with his mom and found an even better gym called The Fit Pit. He’s currently an LBC champion of San Antonio and a Golden Glove champion of Austin, Texas. He earned a Golden Gloves Jacket and trophy, something he worked hard to get.

“I went into the tournament knowing I would win. I prepared myself by training hard and being fully dedicated,” Lopez said.

Lopez makes sure every practice counts.

“I jump rope three rounds, shadow box three rounds and in the gym I do about seven rounds on the mitts with my coaches. Then I work on strengths and conditioning. I train everyday,” Lopez said.

What Lopez likes most about boxing is the competitiveness of the sport and the adrenaline rush once he’s inside the boxing ring.

“I get excited but try to stay calm since the adrenaline rushes can mess you up,” Lopez said.

When fighting Lopez stays on top of his game.

“When I look at my opponent I tell myself that he can’t beat me because I’m when fighting I think about my big brother that passed away and think about how hard I’ve trained,” Lopez said.