Student challeges himself with six advanced classes

Maria Moreno, In-Depth Editor

Student’s stress over having to take one or three AP classes, but imagine having to take six.
Senior Fernando Mendoza taking AP Calculus-AB, AP Physics-C, AP Macro Economics and AP Government.
“I wanted to take AP classes because I know they’re harder,” Mendoza said. “I want to challenge myself because I know they’re more advanced.”
The word “stressed doesn’t exist in Mendoza’s vocabular as he takes a more relaxed approach to his classes.
“Other than Physics AP, I just pay attention in class and do my work, it comes really easy to me,” Mendoza said. “Stressing out takes a lot of energy so I don’t do it, when I was taking the tests I was relaxed.” Mendoza.
He is planning on attending A&M in College Station, Texas and is majoring in Aerospace engineering. Aerospace engineering majors learn how to use math and science to design and develop aircraft, spacecraft, and missiles.
“I’m going to be the first person in my family to go to college and I’m really proud about that,” Mendoza said.
Typically, a student who takes AP classes studies constantly, but with Mendoza it’s a different story.
“I do homework but I don’t study. I’m a visual learner and if someone can show me how to do it, I can do it. I don’t need to constantly think about it,” Mendoza said.
Although Mendoza is taking all AP classes, he is still able to balance his social life with academics.
“Out of school I like to play video games, watch documentaries, and watch anime.” Mendoza said.
Rebecca Redland, the AP administrator, thinks that it’s good that students challenge themselves to take as many as six AP classes.
“I think it’s a terrific expirience for a student to take all those classes, the classes and course load would be stressful,” Redland said. “but definitely taking all those AP tests is good type of challenge because that student is taking advantage of everything we have to offer at akins.”
“Signing up for AP classes and doing well on them is something to be proud of, and so I took a whole bunch of them,” Mendoza said.