ALC visit is a last case scenario

There has been recent public outcry over the number of minority students being sent from Austin Independent School District high schools to the district’s Alternative Learning Center.

Research has shown that more minority students have been sent to ALC for breaking the school rules and policies, although this is proven to be true at Akins high school, it all lies on the cold hard fact that 70% of the school is the minority.

ALC is an institute, which helps student’s get back on track and move away from making bad decisions. On average, each week 20% of students who withdraw from Akins get sent to ALC.

Students who are caught selling, using, in the possession of or under the influence of drugs and or alcohol will be sent to ALC because the campus policy states that any and all of these are mandatory removal offenses.

“To be sent to ALC a student must be involved in any drug, gang, or serious safety related activity,” ABLE academy assistant principal Joe Ruiz said. “Students will only be sent to ALC for a mandatory reason.”

Before a student gets sent to ALC he/she receives a three-day suspension from school, then a hearing with the student, the parent, student’s AP and another administrator is arranged.

“The hearing is scripted and recorded, after both sides are listened to, a decision is made by the administrators,” Ruiz said.

The length of an ALC suspension may vary from 10 to 30 days. In a school year, a student who is sent to ALC once will not need to repeat as the student learned that misbehaving does bring consequences.

“Students under discretionary offenses are not sent to ALC but, instead are put into long term ISS,” Social Services assistant principal Brandi Hosack said.

“Although there is that one student who makes a second trip to ALC, the majority of students learn their lessons by being sent to ALC once.” Hosack said.

If the offense made by a student does not fall under mandatory removal the student will not be sent to ALC.

“Some schools have a history, not Akins, of minority students being sent to ALC for more discretionary reasons,” principal Daniel Girard said.

ALC is not the only place students are leaving to from campus. Every week approximately 8-10 students leave to an alternative program.

“Students who choose an alternative school are those who are on the verge of dropping out,” Dropout prevention specialist Bertha Cherry said.

Students who are having trouble with grades, credit and attendance are referred to Cherry for guidance.

“My job is to first prevent students from leaving Akins, then to find a place where the student can continue their education successfully,” Cherry said.

The Masters Program is an alternative graduating method for students who are behind in credits and need to graduate quicker than others.

Austin Can Academy is a charter school for students who are intimidated by a big school with many students and crowded classrooms.

Premier High School is a computer-based school, which offers a high school diploma for the more independent learners who manage to work better without help from a teacher.

AYW is an alternative GED program for students who need to begin a job sooner than others; this institute offers job training, as well as childcare for students who are parents.

Most students who do withdraw to attend an alternative school end up finishing high school there.

“I have received many phone calls from students who became very successful by attending one of these alternative schools and finishing there,” Cherry said.