Follow Akins Journalism on Twitter
Recent Comments

Future students learn the importance of choosing classes

Every year, the academies on campus set up their booths and showcase what they’re all about. Programs like Robotics, ROTC, and the Fine Arts all have a chance to showcase what they’re about.

The Academy Fair allows incoming 9th graders at Akins to learn more about which academy they would like to be in before the school year starts.

The school’s jazz band performed outside the cafeteria, and EMT had a group of student staging some of their procedures. The staff feels that this year’s fair had a good turnout and provided good exposure for the academies.

“The academy fair was successful, and it’s good to see all the upperclassmen participating,” ACES academy assistant principal Pamela Gray said. “There were also many motivated and interested parents here with their children.”

Akins students taking part in showing their various organizations and spreading the word about their individual academies found great opportunity in it too.

“It was a really good way to introduce the amazing opportunities that Akins has,” senior Student Council President Stephanie Downs said. “I think people learned a lot while having a lot of fun too.”

Although there is a diverse myriad of programs at Akins, a simple selection of academies can affect the classes available.

“The way the academies are set up, a student in an academy takes classes offered in that academy,” AHA academy counselor David Leath said. “If a student has completed a course sequence, or earned their major in their academy, they might be able to take an introduction class in another academy’s class if there is room in the class.”

Students with a change of heart can always move into another academy. When the time comes to fill out choice sheets for their next year, they can simply fill out another academy’s choice sheet.

“The biggest amount of switches occurs with 9th graders going into 10th grade,” Leath said. “The number of students changing academies in the upper grades is usually very small.”