Social media change brings rivalry between users

Elianne Candelario
Staff Reporter
Tweenagers tweeting tweets on Twitter. You probably have it open on your phone as you read this. A blue square, with a small bird on it. Yes, I am talking about the one, the only, Twitter.
Twitter allows you to follow your favorite artist, and actors. You can read their tweets and see what they are doing, when their next album will drop, where they are touring to next. If you want to stay in constant contact with your friends, classmates, and even some teachers you can, just by following them.
The great thing about twitter is the freedom of saying anything you want, to whomever you want. You can tweet Barack Obama if you wanted to, of course that doesn’t guarantee he’ll tweet back or even see it, but he just might.
There are many ways you can go about acknowledging a tweet. The best way is to retweet a tweet you relate to, like, or just want to share.
When you retweet something you pretty much just repost it on your twitter profile, which will show up on your followers timeline. A timeline is like news feed, where every tweet or retweet from your followers ends up. Twitter gives you access to anyone’s profile unless they are private but either way all you have to do is follow them and you can read all their tweets.
Bottom line is, having a twitter you can express yourself freely, let people know what your opinions are and twatch whoever you want. Twatching is a term used to describe watching someone on twitter or, its great, I highly recommend it.

Harley Cruz
Staff Reporter
With over one billion active users as of this year, Facebook is clearly the winner when it comes to social media sites.  People all over the world are constantly updating, sharing, liking, and interacting with each other on a daily basis.
Sure you can do that on Twitter, but with limited 140 character “tweets” and fewer abilities to interest everyone.
Facebook is much more interesting simply because you’re given a wider selection on how you can keep yourself in the loop of things. You can join various groups and organizations or play on apps like Farmville and Words With Friends. You can chat, add statuses, make friends, market businesses and create all sorts of events to get people involved. No wonder Facebook has become the “one-stop shop” for communicating, sharing, and entertaining.
One thing I like is that it’s easier to find people and stay in contact with while being able to communicate on a less complicated level. With Twitter you send a direct message to only one other user at a time.
On Facebook you’re able to create a profile with any information that you feel comfortable sharing and choose who is able to see it while viewing your page. With Twitter just about anyone can go ahead and “follow” you with the need for more followers people will approve various people, even when their profile is set to private.
Twitter is less interesting to me because it’s all based on impersonal relationships where it’s mostly about how many “followers” you’re able to achieve. If you’re about seeking simple information, sharing events, expressing thoughts and revisiting old friends or family, I suggest staying with Facebook.