"Everything that concerns you"

Zoie Moreno and Isaac Guerrero

The ways other cultures celebrate the winter holidays

January 14, 2020

Sherry Lin explains Chinese New Year

Sherry Lin is an exchange student from Taiwan. We spoke to her about the different ways people in Taiwan celebrate winter holidays, including Chinese new year.

Q What celebrations do you celebrate?

A Chinese New Year. We will, so we meet that night and then like the whole family will eat it together. And then the adults will give a red envelope, put some money in it and give it to the kids who don’t work. e parents will also give you new clothes.

Q What’s the story behind Chinese new year?

A I think is a story but is not true. So in the old times so there’s a dragon and then, like when the Chinese New Year comes, the dragon will show up to every house. The people will put the like you know, red paper and then we’ll put it at the door to scare the dragon and then they won’t show up like that.

Q Are there any celebrations in the US that you like?

A I think it’s Christmas, or I like Halloween. My house parents say they will decorate the Christmas tree. I like Halloween trick or treating, because we don’t have trick or treating.

About the Photographer
Photo of Robert Ramos
Robert Ramos, Staff Writer
Grade: 10

Academy: Green Tech

Year on Staff: First Year

Title: Staff Writer

Why they are on staff? I got put in this class

What do you do for fun? On my phone watching youtube videos

What movie do you recommend that everyone watch? Sicario and Den of Thieves

Plans for after high school? Maybe go to ACC and study construction and drive big trucks or just work something that involves construction.