CES 2022 was big a big leap in affordable phones and automotives. (Mark Lomas)
CES 2022 was big a big leap in affordable phones and automotives.

Mark Lomas

CES 2022 debuts upgrades to everyday technologies

February 18, 2022

CES, a.k.a Consumer Electronics Show, has come and gone. Taking place from January 5 to January 7th. It’s a yearly show where tech and car companies show off what they have been working on.

While past years have shown off pretty cool inventions and innovations, this year has been no exception. While many of these products are expensive, we may see prices drop even further in the next few years as these inventions become more prevalent. With that over, let’s see a summary of what was revealed this year at CES 2022.

Laptops and Chips and Phones Oh my:

Intel reveals another 12th gen computer chip

During this 3 day convention, we saw new computer chips, laptops, and phones. What did we see in computer chip innovation? To begin, Intel came out with their new mobile versions of the 12th generation of processors. During their keynote, they announced at least 22 different 12th gen chips. While the past 12th gen processors were fast, these new ones will be up to 40% faster than the previous generation. These new chips also have support for wifi 6e, DDR5 memory and new thunderbolt 4 ports. However, their chips do not support HDMI 2.1 Intel claims that these new chips are also faster than AMD and Apple’s chips. We have yet to see if that is true.

Ryzen 6000 reveal at CES 2022

To combat Intel’s announcements, AMD announced that they will be bringing their 6th generation of computer chips to laptops. It will bring HDMI 2.1. Which is insanely overpowered compared to HDMI 2.0. HDMI 2.1 supports up to 10k 120 frames per second. These new chips will support the newest generation of memory and support Wifi 6e. These chips will also increase their graphics output, allowing games to run smoother at higher resolutions and will be faster all around the board. These new chips will be more power-efficient with AMD claiming up to 24 hours of battery life. These chips should also be more secure with Microsoft’s built-in Pluton Chip. Recent benchmarks show that they come very close to the Intel I9-12900HK chips. Despite using less power, they are very fast. They also announced their 7000 series for desktops, which should release later in the year.

TCL’s 30v 5g phone.

In the phone sector, new phones were announced. To start off, Samsung announced the Galaxy 21 Fan Edition, which brings all of the specs of the old S21 into a cheaper phone. The only difference is that the build quality may feel a little bit cheaper but, the phone is still pretty great. Oneplus teased us all week, starting by teasing us with the phone design, then confirming it will run a Snapdragon 8 gen 1 which is significantly faster than the chips that phones ran in 2021. Oneplus also revealed that the camera will get an upgrade over the Oneplus 9. It will also run OxygenOS 12 which is based on Android 12, features a big battery and 80 watts fast charging. Nokia announced 5 new phones, of which 4 will run 4g while the G400 will use 5g. The G400 will be $239 while the lowest price will be $79 for the Nokia 2760 flip. To round off phone announcements, TCL announced mid-range phones with the 30v 5g having a 6.67-inch 1080p display, a Snapdragon 480 chip, a 50MP main camera, and a 4,500-mAh battery. This phone will be a Verizon exclusive. The Xe 5g will have a 6.52-inch HD Plus display, a MediaTek Dimensity 700 chip, a 13MP main camera, and a 4,500-mAh battery. So for those looking for a new phone, I would recommend checking out Samsung’s S21 FE, Google Pixel 6, or the Oneplus 10. While the Pixel 6 was not announced at CES 2022, it’s still a notable addition that should not be forgotten.

courtesy of HP

In the laptop section, there were quite a bit of announcements. There was the announcement of the Alienware M5 Ryzen 5 edition. It will be 17in big and will be a beast in terms of specs and price when it hopefully releases later this year. There was also the Lenovo think book plus Gen 3. It will run the 12th generation of Intel chips, and on the second screen, yes there is a second one, you can take notes, use a calculator, do whatever you want on it. It will release in May with a price tag of $1,399. Chromebooks weren’t left out of the announcements as well too, there were 5 announcements. Out of all those announcements, the biggest announcement would be the HP Elite Dragonfly Chromebook. It will have 1,000 nits peak brightness, which is bright. They have a better resolution for their screen, it can run up to 32 GB of memory, it has optional 4g and 5g, a 2 terabyte storage option, an HDMI port, 2 USB-C ports, and One USB-A port, it will also have a headphone jack when it releases in March.

GRAPHICS CARDS. Where?

The RTX 3050

CES 2022 also revealed 3 new graphics cards. 2 from Nvidia and 1 from AMD. Nvidia announced the RTX 3050, our first 50 version since the GTX 1650 from 2019. This card is great for 1080p gaming and is still better than AMD’s 6500XT. Nvidia claims it can play 1080p at 60 frames per second. Both cards are priced at around $200-$250 price range. While that was it for AMD, Nvidia also announced the 3090 Ti, which is faster than the fastest graphics card available, the RTX 3090. While not much is known about the 3090 Ti, I think we can all agree that it will empty your bank account and will hardly be in stock. Nvidia also announced that they are bringing their RTX 3070 and RTX 3080 to laptops. AMD announced that they are making other graphics cards too, they RX 6850M, RX 6650M, RX 6500M, and RX 6300M. That was everything that was announced for graphics cards.

What else was announced?

Samsung announced another iteration of their Neo QLEDs TVs. This TV will have a remote powered by the sun, it will be 4k, and it will have a 144-hertz refresh rate. It will also come with new features like Share Play, which will allow other households to watch shows, movies, and play games together. This tv will also come with GameHub, which will let you stream games to your TV. For those into NFT’s, your TV will also display the NFT’s that you own.

Chevy announced the 2024 Silverado electric vehicle which is supposed to be more powerful than Ford’s F-150 EV. You’ll get a 400-mile range, fast charging which will add 100 miles in 10 minutes. The Silverado will be able to tow up to 10,000 pounds and it will cost you a pretty $100,000. BMW also announced that they will make a color-changing car. Right now it is only limited to white, black, and grey but could change the future of EV’s. The colors are made using E-ink which is what e-readers use.
This year was big on Smart home products. Samsung announced that they are making a smart dashboard, it will allow you to plan dinners, order ingredients, customize laundry cycles, and can help make your air cleaner, there was also the hands-free smart lock that uses your iPhone or Apple Watch to unlock itself. Roborock announced a robot vacuum and mop that can empty the dust bin for up to 7 weeks. It can fill up its water and can clean its own mops. There was also Chillax’s new baby monitor. It has a 1080p camera and is efficient at detecting whether a baby has rolled over on and whether they are sleeping alright. It can also shut off wi-fi instantly if need be. Samsung also has its own refrigerator which is customizable. The refrigerator will have 12 color options.
Sony also announced the PS VR 2 which will only be available for PS5 owners. It will include 4k resolution and will be compatible with Sony’s 3d Audio tech. To finish off with Samsung announcements, they also announced the odyssey Neo G8, which will run at 4k 240hz, which will make everything from gaming, watching movies, and content creation extremely smooth. Dell also announced their 32-inch 4k monitor and will come with a built-in 4k webcam. You’ll be able to spin this monitor any way you want to. The microphone will also come with echo cancellation. This monitor will come with all sorts of ports and will start shipping on March 29th. The price was not revealed at the time of this writing.
To top off all some of the big CES 2022 announcements, there were 2 more announcements that were intriguing.

Alienware’s concept Nyx

The first one is Alienware’s concept Nyx. Which would allow you to stream games to any screen in your house. We may never see this item but, it’s an interesting announcement. The final announcement was Tp-link’s archer AXE200 Omni. This router is special because it uses an antenna to follow your devices. It will support Wifi 6e and has a 10Gbps ethernet port. It will hopefully be available later this year.
If you think that was a lot, there were still quite a few more items that were announced during CES 2022. If you’re interested in what else was interested, we encourage you to go online and see what other amazing things were announced. Most of these items are way out of our price range but, in a few years, we could see these items become more affordable. To end off, I think we could see more awesome announcements when this convention returns in 2023.