"Everything that concerns you"

"Everything that concerns you"

"Everything that concerns you"

Shedding light on family food business

Even though a lot of people want Chick-Fil-A back here serving food after school, I don’t think they should come back. Two words why: Anti-gay.

Students wonder where some of the money goes when you buy something from Chick-Fil-A. I was really shocked that what would seem like a family place can support anti-gay organizations and actually donate some of their money to foundations that support this movement.

The founder of Chick-Fil-A, S.Truett Cathy, created the Winshape Foundation. It’s a program, which helps young people succeed in life through scholarships, kid-support programs and God. This is one of the foundations where Chick-Fil-A’s money goes and for a long time, anti-gay groups received money from Cathy and the Winshape Foundation.

The big uproar began when President and CEO of Chick-Fil-A, Dan Cathy (son of S. Truett Cathy), stated, “We are very much supportive of the family – the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that. We want to do anything possibly can to strengthen families.  We are very much committed to that.”

When Cathy made this statement he was hounded by the professional media for his anti-gay and anti-gay marriage stance.

It came out that the Winshape Foundation had been funding anti-gay groups like Focus on the Family and the National Organization for Marriage.

“We intend to stay the course. We know it not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles,” Cathy said.

Basically what Cathy is saying is that he knows that people might not agree with him, but thank God he can have his own opinion.

When this story broke, the public reacted swiftly. Certain groups started boycotting while other gathered outside restaurants in support of Cathy. Some Akins students joined the protest.

“Personally I don’t eat there because I don’t want to give profit to a company that funds anti-gay organizations,” sophomore Airelle Phillips said. “I don’t feel their actions are right. They just don’t seem moral even though they think they are doing the right thing.”

Phillips is one of the people who don’t eat Chick-Fil-A because of where their money goes since she is part of the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender community.

Although Phillips still doesn’t support Chick-Fil-A, the company itself has gone back on its original stance and is no longer actively supporting anti-gay groups.

The Winshape Foundation reacted, releasing a statement. “The Winshape Foundation is now taking a much closer look at the organizations it considers helping, and in that process will remain true to its stated philosophy of not supporting organizations with political agendas.”

Some of the reasons people would hate the LGBT community is because of God and what they read and learned, politics. But if god didn’t care about the color of skin, hair color, eye color, why should he care if individuals of the same sex are in love.

I am worried that groups that are anti-gay are going too far. I think it might get so bad like when our country approved of slaving simply because African-American people looked different.

It would be as if the past is repeating itself about being judged for the color of your skin, slaves were nobodies, and people owned them. That wouldn’t be the world we would want to relive.

I know Chick-Fil-A supports the school, especially the T-Stem Academy when they are here selling but I don’t think Chick-Fil-A should be here on campus because they might be making money for the school but they are still sending some of their money to Winshape Foundation, which is still a very religious group.

If we were to protest we would get in trouble just for expressing our own opinion, which is why I think we just need to inform people about this, and tell them that they shouldn’t buy their food from them.

Chick-Fil-A, if you don’t like the LGBT community then do not worry about them. You shouldn’t hate people who are in love or attracted to the same sex or feel the way they are as a person.