Lack of Eagle spirit shows

Nic Sokolowski, News Editor

Feet stomping, loud cheers and shouts, Blue and gold banners waving in the crowds. That is what school spirit is supposed to look like, but in reality, it’s just a bunch of empty bleachers and bored students without a single ounce of excitement.

Spirit Week is a time where although you still sadly have to follow dress code, you can dress up and have fun with your friends.

“Spirit Week gives everyone a chance to be involved and lets each student show off their originality.” AHA English teacher, Melissa Royer said.

Spirit Week should have ideas that are originated from students. Student Council, which plans the spirit week and some other school events, should ask students what they want do instead of only going with their own ideas.

“I don’t think there was enough school spirit, because only a small percentage of the school actually participated,” said sophomore cheerleader Alliyah Leonard. “We should also have more pep rallies because it will get a greater variety of people pumped for the games.”

I strongly believe we should change the time of day when the pep rallies are held. No one really wants to watch a pep rally early in the morning. A lot more kids would be involved and supportive if we had it during a different time, like after school, or the last 15 minutes of school.

“Perhaps we should include other sports as well such as softball, tennis, and track, etc.,” Royer said.

I think that if we got more involved with school activities students will have more school spirit.

“What’s neat about blue and gold night is that kids expect it, and also the whole family participating,” Principal Daniel Girard said. “Everybody gets to come and enjoy it and have a good time.”

Blue and Gold night is a fun night that only happens once a school year in October. It’s almost like a carnival and with diffrent activities.

“It’s a community event, but it’s also a school spirit event and gets everyone associated,” Girard said.

I think that improvements can be made, but no one wants to participate then there will be no school spirit. If a school has a lot of school spirit, it gets recognized and more respected.

It’s going to take a lot of effort and dedication from the students, but I think if more kids are willing then maybe one day we can say we are a spirited school.