Halloween costumes cause controversy between girls

November 14, 2014

As I have grown older, it seems that costumes for females have been getting shorter and more revealing, making it hard for some women to find decent fitting costumes in stores.

It’s even sad to say that even the costumes that aren’t usually seen as relatively attractive sexually have been redesigned to appear sexually provocative. Shriek, Freddy Kruger, Crayons, Beetle Juice all short and skimpy:  Can these costumes even be seen as costumes anymore?

With these Halloween women’s costumes designed in such a sexualized manner and the primary intent to show skin actual, this trend has gained great popularity.

Sadly, the expression that  “sex sells” has turned a wholesome yet gory holiday into another excuse to dress in skimpy clothing.

This is annoying for women and teens looking to find a genuine costume to have fun in on Halloween. It is almost impossible to walk into a department store now and find a nicely designed costume that is not too revealing.

Now I’m sure there are still a few costumes available that cover more skin than they show, but truth is they’re slowly disappearing, and many women are OK with it. Apparently nobody wants to see the girl dressed as a banana but would rather see the girl dressed as scantily clad cat woman.

Why can’t  Halloween be about it’s original purpose: Dressing up, trick-or-treating, going to parties or two, and the night is over. It’s becoming impossible for  females who enjoy Halloween for these reasons, we demand decent costumes from costume companies.

For now all we can do is vote with our wallets and refuse to buy these costumes and make our own.

We don’t need a sexy Ronald McDonald, a sexualized school girl, or a provocative honeybee.

Costume companies should at least provide a normal option and then choose to provide the sexy version. The way it is now, sexy is the default option.

I know that this might seem like a bit of a stretch for companies to incorporate more clothing into the women’s costumes. It might even be downright too much for them to consider. Us females who don’t want to spend Halloween being hit on, would greatly appreciate the choice.

While the holiday season can be a time dominated by consumerism, the best part of this time of year is how it opens up people’s imagination.

During Christmas, people can believe in Santa, elves and reindeer. And during Halloween people get to imagine being completely different people when they dress up in their costumes.

Judging by the number of sexy costumes available in area stores, it seems that women these days are wanting to emphasize their sexuality when selecting their costumes.

When you walk through a Halloween costume store, there are all kinds of options for toddlers and kids. But the female costumes are dominated these days by sultry outfits.

It seem as though costumes for women around the ages 16 to 20 have been getting a lot more provocative than before, having to be a more ridiculous type of sexy costumes.

It’s inarguable that women have been dressing in these “sexy” costumes in the past Halloween night before, if anything they have just been the typical “sexy” kitty or bunny.

Stores have just taken the advantage of this by adding to the options for women’s costumes to the point where the majority of their stock is made up of these wild and revealing outfits.

If one doesn’t like it, there are other options than heading to the same store and judging the costumes and the women wearing and buying them.

If women fail to find the costumes they want, there are other stores in the city. The internet can be a huge help to those who can’t find something they like in their local stores.

Everyone should have the option to choose what they want to be for a night of make-believe  and entertainment.

Women have the option to choose if they want to be a “sexy” devil or a regular devil.  Corporations are not forcing women to wear these costumes. They are merely putting it out there and letting the free market decide what women want to buy.

If there is someone that wants to express themselves and show off to the world, there shouldn’t be people telling her what she can and can’t do. This violates freedoms all people are given of expressing herself when and how she wants.

If there are people who don’t prefer these seductive designs, they don’t need to wear them. There are other stores with other options, and there is no need to be crude to people who wear different types of costumes.

Girls who decide to wear more revealing costumes are often called crass names, which are very offensive. Just because a girl decides to wear less covering clothing doesn’t make any worse than someone who wears a big pink bunny suit.