Is a 4-year school always the best place for everyone?

April 20, 2015

College is college no matter where you go.

If they offer college credit and the ability to transfer to a university to finish getting your degree, I don’t think it should be looked down upon at all because in the end, it’s still college.

I myself will be attending Austin Community College in the Fall. I remember when I would tell my friends where I’d be attending, they told me “Why are you shooting for a place so low?” or “Wow way to downgrade yourself.”

ACC’s low tuition gives their students the opportunity to begin their college degree at affordable prices compared to other universities. According to ACC’s website, the 2 year/60 credit hour comparison of in-district/in-state tuition costs shows that ACC has the lowest cost at $4,926, while universities such as Texas A&M, Texas State, and the University of Texas all reach up to between $18,000 to $19,500.

“I’m going to ACC because I came from Mexico to have better opportunities than I would’ve had over there,” senior Alejandro Martinez said. “Since ACC is affordable, that’s my future college.”

I’m not going to lie. I would love to live in the dorms if ACC had them for students. However, that would still cost more money that I would have to pay. Having the campus accessible to you by living in the dorms is where universities have their advantages.

ACC’s smaller campus has an advantage than having to walk through the huge university campus. Some of my friends have told me about how they’ve arrived to class late because of the campus size. If you’re a future student going to ACC, you have no reason to be ashamed. Some people don’t take the initiative to even begin college. You’re starting somewhere and gaining the ability to learn at the college level. That’s more than some people will ever experience.

If you’re going to a university, be proud that your fellow seniors are starting their future instead of making them feel ashamed of  going to a community college.