Henry Dominguez

November 10, 2016

History is at crucial time again, but I don’t believe it’s anything to be afraid of. Nothing to be afraid of, as long as we don’t allow those in power to abuse that said power. We’ve moved on from worse times, and we can progress. I don’t care that Trump won, and I’m not upset that Hillary lost. But I am disturbed. I’m disturbed, by how this election was run, embarrassed even. I’m disturbed, that despite how much we’ve advanced as a nation we’ve allowed ourselves to repeat history.

We’ve come so far, fighting for people to have a right to their diversity. We’ve come so far, fighting for people to a have a right to believe in what they believe in. We’ve come so far, fighting for people to a have a right to their perspectives. We’ve come so far, fighting for people to a have a right at what they can say. But these are being bruised, not just by those in power, but by normal everyday people, by us.

Everyone should state their current state of being, it’s a right, but it’s how it’s being channeled recently, the excess, that needs to stop. When we start inflicting pain unto others for having ideas, or perspectives different from ours, that’s when we really start to lose everything that we’ve fought for up to this point.

I am upset that people are saying things that they would usually never say. I am upset that people are doing things that they would usually never do. But because they believe that they have power on their side, or have had a wrong done against them, they are saying things and doing things that they otherwise would have never said or done. I am upset that people in my generation are apart of this.

Communication, a human fundamental is now not only at the hands of our elders, but at the fingertips of our fellow youths. It is now a leisure. It is a leisure that we need to use to our advantage. We are literally the future, the change, and it is at this time that we need to use that said leisure as an opportunity to be that change so that future generations never have to see an election as embarrassing as this one was ever again, and so that they never have to experience or see a social imbalance as dramatic as we are seeing today.

I am not upset with what was decided yet, but I am disturbed. I am upset though, with how so many people are choosing to respond. I will not hear or see what happened today, happen again tomorrow, but I can’t do that alone. Because the future includes you. If you see inequality anywhere in our world, speak up and act. If we don’t, we might meet a day where we no longer can. We decide that. I will not meet that day. We need to stop overthinking and stop underacting. We need to stop complaining about the mistakes that were made today and fix them to move forward. What we decide to do to now, decides our tomorrow.