"Everything that concerns you"

How to check for fake news

February 28, 2020

Fake news spreads around really quickly because people share it and view it on social media. And well you are reading a news story, ask yourself these questions and see you should take it as real. Here are some tips from Newseum Ed.  

Is it real?

Does the evidence hold up? Are the sources legitimate? Check the story’s information and facts to weed out the fakes.

Is it well-made?

A well-made story starts with solid facts. It should be calm, clear and neat, not a train wreck of exaggerated emotion (like ALL CAPS WORDS!!!) and sloppy.

Is it news or opinion?

News mainly explains what is happening. Opinion takes a stance to judge or make an argument about it. First-person voice or words like “perspective” and “editorial” are often tip offs it is opinion

Is it supported by facts?   

Is there good evidence? Look for statistics, studies, historical example, primary sources, expert analysis or other signs that the writer has done their research and can back up their argument.  

Is it biased?

Does the evidence show you the big picture? Biased stories may leave out key facts, so you only see one side of an issue. They may also exaggerate or downplay the importance of the story in the context of other news.

Is the bias open or sneaky?

Does the execution clearly aim for a specified audience? News with an open bias often uses partisan labels in its titles (like “Left-Wing News”) or declares support for partisan missions (like “help Republicans get elected”). News with a sneaky bias pretends it isn’t biased at all.

Does it entertain and/or raise awareness?

What is this story’s purpose? Weigh whether the story was created for darker reasons, like causing destruction’ scamming people for profit, or unfairly hurting someone of something.