"Everything that concerns you"

Types of Fake News

February 28, 2020

Fake news is everywhere, from newspapers to online social media like twitter, some are easy to spot while others seem very real. Fake news can be something small like a lie and also can be something like fact or the truth that has been altered or taken out of context to fit an agenda.

Fake news is not a new thing, in fact, it has been for a long time mostly on a small scale but fake news really comes out after an event or something about a person gets leaked. The problem with fake news is that the people who see it will believe it and take it as real. And the news outlets that don’t tell their viewers that they have gotten a story or some information wrong. Then these viewers who have taken in this misinformation and believe to be the truth then go and spread this information everywhere.

Armed with this misinformation, these people can attack and accuse other people or that one person of the wrong thing. 

Accidental misinformation

This is when a news outlet gets a story wrong by accident. Usually when they rushing to get that story out. In cases when this happens, most news outlets will state that they got the story wrong and fix it. But some news outlets won’t fix the story they got wrong or won’t even state that they got it wrong 

Intentional misinformation

This is when a news outlet gets a story wrong by changing some information or making stuff in the story seem smaller or bigger than it actually is. They do this to normally push an agenda. Also, there is basis news. This fits on the lines of pushing an agenda by putting their opinion in the story. Them putting their opinion in the story is fine when they tell you that is their opinion. It only becomes a problem when they try to pass off their opinion as the truth. Sometimes they will try to confuse you with information.

Propaganda

The soul purpose of propaganda is to get you to be all for something. It makes it seem like you should vote or fight for something or someone. Propaganda makes the opposing side look like the bad guy. And like misinformation, propaganda makes things seem bigger or smaller than they really are.