Getting hired for a job is becoming increasingly difficult

High school students in Austin frequently have trouble nding any employment

Alejandro Moreno, Staff Writer

Jobs are a hassle, but if you want to buy things, you’ve got to have cash. Due to the rise of population and people trying to find jobs here in Austin it is becoming harder for teens to get a good job now a days.

Finding a job itself can be time consuming. Writing down all of your information, searching for job openings, and getting interviewed over and over is tiring and stressful.
I myself have applied to six jobs and have interviewed at four of them, but I never get hired. They always want a worker with God knows how many years of experience or else they want an employee who will t with insane amount of requirements.

Some of my friends have similar problems where they apply to a job and do not get called back. And it is worrying to see other teens with the same problems. It’s scary because you don’t know if you are going to need the money some day and not have any.

The only places that could be potentially hiring are fast food places, but even so most of the positions are being taken up. According to the Brooking Institution, “Central Texas teen and young adult employment rates plummeted from 2000 to 2012, posting some of the sharpest declines among the country’s 100 largest metro areas.” This means that the employment rate has dropped drastically here in Austin.

In fact, the employment rate has dropped 17.8 percent in a time period of 12 years. In the year 2000, the employment rate was up to 43.1 percent and 2012 the teen employment rate dropped down to 25.3 percent.These statistics are for teens of the age of 16-19 years of age.

I believe it is harder to get a job here in Austin as a teen because of the fast growth in population in Austin. Not only is it af- fecting our employment but it is also af- fecting our way to live.

It will be harder for my generation to have a house in Austin and tra c is becoming a big problem, too.

The reason why people are moving to Austin is because there are a lot of job opportunities but they are taking some of those opportunities away from teenagers.

Some things this city could do in order to have a better employment rate could be trying to create paid internship jobs just for teenagers in Austin ISD. Cities should also help promote and support small businesses so that they can help hire more people.

Finding a dream job while in high school is sometimes impossible so young people need to be prepared to take on jobs that they really don’t like. Taking that first job helps build on their résumés and job experience and it helps you find a better job later.

Just because you can not nd a job, that does not mean that you will never get a job. It just means that you have to keep looking for it and sooner or later you will nd something to help pay the bills.