Akins Theater to premiere fan favorite

High School Musical takes the stage in early December.

Michael Galindo

Members of Akins Journey Theater perform in the courtyard to promote their upcoming play, titled High School Musical

Jason Loosle, Multi-Media Editor

Troy, Gabriella and a cast of the popular modern theatrical musical will hit the state in December when the Akins Journey Theater stages High School Musical.

The play gained popularity first as a Disney Channel movie and then was released in 2006 as a major motion picture.

Compared to last years’ musical, this year’s musical has many differences. For one, a new musical theater class has been introduced during the school day. While the class does not make up the entire cast, many of the performers have a chance to practice the songs and dance routines, which are a major part of this musical.

This is one reason why theater teacher Maureen Siegel has high hopes for the musical this year. “This musical theater class will bring a broad base of support for the cast to lean on” Siegel said.
Siegel is trying to keep the after school rehearsals to a minimum as to open participation in the musical to more people.

Some of Siegel’s high hopes include doing a showing during school for middle and elementary school students, which theater did two years ago. She said that this outreach created hype for theater program and encouraged students to join as they got older.

One interesting part of the play is the reappearance of alumni Christian Martinez. After graduating last year he was cast again this year in the play as the lead male role Troy Bolton.

“Its an honor and an experience, it’s really fun,” said alumni Christian Martinez. “I’m really glad the directors allowed me to come back and be a part of this”

Martinez feels a little out of practice from being out of high school, but is confident in gaining it back. With a cast and crew of many sophomores and freshman, and even the older juniors and seniors are in their first musical, there are challenges of not having experience of the stage.

Mila Luna and Siegel agree that the future of theater is looking good and there is a lot of talent shown even just this year, but there is currently a lack of very much stage experience. Having Martinez come back and play as one of the leads will hopefully be helpful with all of his experience in the fine arts programs for multiple years in his past.

Leads are also a major difference then they have been cast in the past. In the past there has been one person as the lead, while another one person is the understudy. This year’s leads are held by at least two members of the cast who will constantly be competing for the role in the show.

Other extra roles and minor characters only have one student learning each part, but they are mostly chorus parts.

This is the reason why two to three people can compete for lead roles during the entire process of the musical.

“Making a musical a large production doesn’t happen instantly, it’s a process.” Siegel said.

With the theater program continually growing, many are excited for what will come out.

“I’m excited about the huge cast, as well as the dance scenes and all the songs” Luna said.

Although the cast is much larger than in past years, Siegel still said there is many opportunities to be part of the musical, so if you wish to be a part, talk to her.

The musical is set to hit the stage on December 4 at 5:30 p.m., and December 5 and 6 at 7 p.m. Tickets will be $7 for students and $10 for adults and sold at the door.