Battle of the Bands to hold auditions on February 13

Jose Salazar, Staff Writer

The event has come again where bands battle it out to see which one is the school favorite.

Social studies teacher Melinda Horowitz, who has been the one to coordinate the annual competition for several years, said she is excited to hear the new bands on campus and see who comes out as the favorite.

“I’m hoping to see a variety of different music, and for the audience can see the talent of the performing students,” Horowitz said. “This is a way for students who perform to show off in front of their peers.”

Auditions are this Friday at 4:30 p.m. in the theater. Anyone or any band can sign up in room 231. The first meeting for volunteers will be on February 9 at 4:30 p.m.. The competition will be on March 13.

This year, the event will be a fundraiser for the Arts and Humanities Academy. Horowitz said the competition is a student-led event and needs volunteers to sign-up to help out with the Battle of the Bands.

“I always want more students involved in the planning and promotion. I want students to fund raise for their own clubs and organizations,” she said.

There has been different types of music every year. Several years ago there was a lot of metal and rock and roll bands. In recent years the competition has featured solo singers and hip-hop artists.“Maybe we can have a country singer or band, we’ve never had that before,” she said. “The highlight of the event is when the students support their peers and the teachers will see the students in a different way.”

The Battle of the Bands is a positive and encouraging way for people to express themselves.

“Anything special can happen when you’re playing music or performing on the stage,”  senior and musician Roy Cisneros said.

Cisneros, who performed last year at the Battle of the Bands will be performing this year as well.

“I’m always excited to play and I hope to see everyone give a good stage performance,” Cisneros said.

The auditions are open to anyone or any group can audition as long as they have someone from Akins  performing.

“The best part will be the band that brings the best performance,” Cisneros said. “People will play funk, rock, and soul music. Music is important because without music the world would be silent.”