Austin theater changing rules for younger viewers

Maheen Anjum, Features Editor

Among teenagers, Alamo Drafthouse is known for its food service during movies, its special film screenings and one more thing — excluding unaccompanied teens under the age of 18 from their theaters.

The “Drafthouse,” as it’s often called, has had this policy since its opening in 1997. The rule banning teenagers was originally designed to cut down on bad movie watching etiquette such as use of cell phones, talking and other distracting behavior.

However, the complete ban is soon coming to an end thanks to an Austin teenager who got the Drafthouse’s attention via Reddit when he asked how he could see a classic film there without his parents attending. Now Drafthouse staff is currently developing an application process to allow certain teenagers to attend films their without a parent. They are planning to start the new rules at the beginning of the next school year.

“Our goal is to help inspire the next generation of cinema lovers,” said Amy Averett, director of family and community engagement for the theater chain.

The application process is still being determined but what they would like to do is have two ways for teenagers to apply.

One way is an online essay application, which asks them to write about their love of movies or why they would like to come here. The second way would be by becoming a part of the film series program called “The Alamo Next.”

In The Alamo Next program students would be given a special pass that would allow them to buy tickets online. If any conflicts occur with that specific teenager than their card can be revoked from them.

Acceptance is determined by the interest shown by the teenager and if they are serious about being in this program and following all rules of their new policy.

Senior Eileen Barry said she was excited to hear about the policy change.

“Now teenagers can enjoy a unique experience just like the adults do,” she said. ■