The joke is on Fifty Shades of Black

Cassie Obi, Sports Editor

As an attempt at a comedic spin-off of the eroctic phenomina of 2015, 50 Shades of Black tries to poke fun, but ends up being the butt of the jokes.

The movie, like the original 50 Shades of Grey, has spoof character Christian Black as a successful entrepreneur, who has strange sexual relationships with different women in which contracts are signed to symbolize a mutual agreement. The producers of the movie take a new approach on the movie by using black actors and putting an outrageous comedic spin on memorable scenes from the original screenplay.

Hannah, the spoof character of Anastasia Steele, fills in the role of the college student that replaces her friend to interview Black. She keeps the “Good Girl” innocent facade going until Black introduces her to his world, but she comically reveals darker sides of her own throughout the movie.

The movie includes a slew of pop culture  satirical references, including whips in Black’s “Play Room” named after different slave-centered movies. And when telling the story of Black’s past before he became rich, it is revealed that he was once a Magic Mike-style performer who stole all his riches and really didn’t not earn any of his money.

I would definitely not recommend this movie to anybody with a shred of intelligence. I left the the theatre feeling completely insulted, shaking my faith in the film industry.

Hollywood, I implore you: make better movies. Yeah, sure you want to appeal to the young adult audience. But we aren’t completely brain-dead. DO NOT watch this movie.

I’d rate it a 3 on a scale of 1-10, 2 points for the quality of the cinematography and the shear amount of money used for the production. The comedy aspect of the movie didn’t meet up with the reputation some of these actors have. Bad jokes that consist of constant unnecessary cursing and false nudity to try to make the “jokes” more funny, failed to do just that and made the film more laughable, but not in the way the filmmakers intended.

I can only hope that those involved in the film industry consider it a huge stain on their careers. I did not enjoy the movie. It tried a little too hard to make fun of the film and to make all sides of the audience laugh by over emphasizing tiring stereotypes.