Outdoor program backpacks Grand Canyon

Members of the Outdoor Education Program rove the rigorous Grand Canyon trail. Club members took water bottles and sun hats to protect themselves from the heat and to avoid heat exhaustion. The program offers students a chance to visit national landmarks and parks all around the United States.

Jose Salazar, Staff Writer

Akins High School has done adventurous events over the years, both educational and daring. One of the most unforgettable trips taken this summer was the Grand Canyon trip.

Because of Social Services geography teacher, Maribel Velez-Ramos, students were able to visit the Grand Canyon, and take in its breathtaking scenery. But this is just the beginning.

The Akins Outdoor Education Program is a new program at Akins High School that gives students a chance to visit national landmarks and parks around America. With the program planning to go to other places such as national, city, and state parks, it’s off to a good start, said students who attended the Grand Canyon trip.

Senior Sara Velez was so excited to hear about the trip because it was her first chance to go somewhere that she had no knowledge of and she couldn’t wait to see something different.

“My experience going to the Grand Canyon National Park will be something that I will never forget,” Velez said.

STEM science teacher, Ethan Peters, suggested going to the Grand Canyon but it was a stretch due to the high cost of $3,000. Velez-Ramos helped with the fundraising and found sponsors that donated money that helped reduce the cost to $1000 per student.

“We sold about 1000 chocolate bars which payed for the hotel, the camps, tents, air flight, meals and tickets,” said Velez-Ramos.

The Grand Canyon was just one of many possible destinations. The programcould have gone to Niagra Falls or Puerto Rico just to name a few.

“The reason that we went to the Grand Canyon was because it was the closest one to the Seven Wonders of the World,” Velez Ramos said. “And we have been learning about tectonic plates, erosion, and the biosphere so it benefited our educationally to the lesson.”

Parks are losing visitors and we as the students should go and explore what they have to offer so we aren’t revoked the privilege from them,” Velez-Ramos said. The Akins Outdoor Education Program goes to national, state, and city parks, this year we plan to go to a town North West of Austin, and to Buchanan Lake in Burnett during June. Velez-Ramos said.

The program opens new possibilities of learning, by taking students to other historical places to learn.

“I really wanted to go to the trip because every American should go to these places in America,” sophomore Maritza Ramirez said.

I raised $540 but since I didn’t go to the Grand Canyon I will use the money I have plus the money I will raise this year to go to Buchanan Lake.”

The Akins Outdoor Education Program is open for anyone to join. Students can pick up an application located on the Grand Canyon National Park photo exhibition in the main foyer.

Check out more photos here! 
https://akinseagleseye.com/photos/2013/10/09/summer-2013-grand-canyon-trip/