Campus welcomes new choir teacher and librarian

As two members of faculty leave, two new staffers replace as latest Eagles

Katrina Stewart

Catherine Ballard (right) and Sylvia Marroquin (left) joined the Akins faculty this spring.

Katrina Stewart, Staff Reporter

Two new educators are working to turn students on to their respective areas of expertise: music and books.

Catherine Ballard, was officially hired as the choir in- structor in March after Dr. David Polley retired in Decem- ber. Sylvia Marroquin, officially began her new job as school librarian after Spring Break, replacing Bonnie Hauser who had worked at Akins for 12 years.

Although both educators are new to Akins, they have been working hard to become adjusted to the school and learn what they can do to make the most of their new jobs.

Ballard served as Polley’s student teacher in the fall, us- ing that time to learn about the choir program and the stu- dents in the classes. She served as a long-term sub so has had plenty of time to get used to Akins.

“I absolutely enjoy working here at Akins,” Ballard said.

Ballard said she was thrilled when she was offered the job to teach choir because it is something she only dreamed about.

“Even though I’ve been here a short amount of time, it already feels like home,” she said.”I look forward to many years of being an Akins Eagle.”

There is many reasons why she loves her job not just be- cause it’s her dream job, but because the students she has an honor of meeting, their hard work and dedication make her enjoy coming to see their faces everyday.

“The faculty, administration, and students are a dream to work with,” she said.

Choir students said they enjoy working with Ballard. They like how hard she pushes them because they know she is doing it to make them better and make them give all they

got“.I like Ms. Ballard, she has a fun personality and is very helpful to everyone in choir,” junior Omar Webb said. “She can be tough at times but that makes her a good teacher be- cause she pushes us to our fullest extent.”

Although she hasn’t been on the job long Marroquin has had help from library clerk Michelle Dunlap, student aides and Hauser, who now works in the central district library services office.

Marroquin said the transition has been easy from Rowe High School which is where she worked previously.

Marroquin loves being a librarian because she loves to read books, and connecting with the students on the books they love.

“I’m enjoying this job, love working with high school stu- dents and love seeing students come in and finding a book they really enjoy,” Marroquin said.