Clubs selling eco-friendly bottles

Chilled water fountain funded through sales

Being+sold+in+room+220%2C+these+water+bottles+are+available+Monday+and+Wednesday.+The+bottles+are+intended+to+fund+the+installation+of+a+new%2C+filtered+water+fountain.+
Being sold in room 220, these water bottles are available Monday and Wednesday. The bottles are intended to fund the installation of a new, filtered water fountain.

Ashley Sanchez

Ashley Sanchez

Henry Dominguez, Staff Writer

While everyone likes having cool, clean refreshing water throughout the day, the most convenient way to carry it around campus is one of the biggest culprits of litter in the world: plastic disposable bottles.

According to recent statistics in at study published in Science Advances, almost 91 percent of plastic bottles produced are never recycled, ending up in land fills or increasing the size of the Texas-sized Great Pacific Garbage Patch in the Pacific Ocean.

To combat this problem, the Akins Green Teens and Just Keep Livin’ clubs have a plan to sell reusable bottles that will help cover the cost of the installation of a chilled, filtered water fountain for the campus.

The idea to install the fountain was first proposed after a competition that took place based on a Citizen Science Contest. Science teacher Matt Stricklen said although there has been an increase in recycling efforts at Akins over the last few years, there is still much room for improvement.

Stricklen, who sponsors both clubs, said he hopes the water bottle plan will cut down on plastic bottle waste at Akins by providing high quality reusable water bottles to students and sta .

Their plan is to use the money to install a Brita Hydration Station where students and teachers will be able to ll up their own water bottles rather than use disposable ones.

“Everybody likes that water fountain in the STEM building because it’s always the coldest water, right? This will be the coldest water at Akins High School,” Stricklen said.

He said the idea for the water fountain also came from an “eco audit” in which students examined sustainability challenges at the school. They used the data they collected when applying for grants from a non-profit group called EcoRise, which gave the groups a total of $1,000 in grants.

They plan on selling a total of 300 reusable bottles along with a Just Keep Livin’ bracelet at $10 a piece. Students can also pay an extra $5 if they want a custom sticker with their name on it to help identify their bottle. The bottles will be available for purchase in room 220 Mondays and Wednesdays after school.

“It’s harmful to the environment,” Stricklen said. “And you know why not drink out of a reusable bottle 10,000 times than use 10,000 (disposable ones)?”

The location of where the station will be placed is still being discussed but once the decision is made final the BRITA Hydration Station will be ready to be put together.

“Having bottles a water bottle with a logo that can bring all the academy’s together and everyone together,” senior Torri Turney said.