Clubs giving students opportunities to succeed, learn

A student adds eye shadow to another students during make up club. It meets on Thursdays in Patricia Bourani’s classroom.

Jon Garza, Life & Style Editor

There are many clubs on campus that participate in competitive and community activities. These clubs, such as the No Place For Hate Student Coalition and the E4 Youth Get Creative Club, allow for students to become involved in their interests.

“It’s a way to make friends,” said Leah Jarrell, junior and Future Farmers of America (FFA) member. “You also gain experiences that you wouldn’t get from laying at home on the weekend and, most importantly, you get leadership experience.”

Jarrell said that participation in clubs has also helped her to better understand her classes.

“Taking a lot of the classes I have Akins has helped me in some of the FFA competitions,” Jarrell said.

Clubs often have leadership opportunities for dedicated members. Jarrell said that leadership positions in organizations allow for a more well-rounded college résumé and development of vital skills.

“It builds up your college application which will definitely help you in the future,” Jarrell said. “FFA is a huge club for building people up. I would say pretty much any organization can do the same in different aspects.”

Jarrell said that being a part of her organization has shaped her throughout her high school career. She said that she encourages others to join clubs.

“My accomplishments in FFA have made me who I am today,” Jarrell said

Future Farmers of America

Members of the Akins chapter of Future Farmers of America (FFA) recently enjoyed success at the Travis County Youth Show.

Agriscience teacher Amberly Moye said FFA members raised livestock for months, growing plants in the FFA greenhouse and created youth fair projects to sell at auctions. At the county youth show, students try to sell the livestock that they’ve been raising. During this year’s auction, Akins students made $27,000 in total by selling their livestock and goods. All of the money received will go to the students so they can invest in next year’s projects, or can be used to pay for college expenses.

Moye said FFA trains leaders of the future about the importance of agriculture practices and how it impacts our lives.

Mock Trial

The Akins Mock Trial team had a successful competition season, which came to an end in January after competing at the state level. Many of the underclassmen did well with sophomores placing in the Top 10. During their freshman year, they ranked seventh in district and 37th at state. But this year, they ranked first in district and seventh at state.

Law teacher Armin Salek said that with the help of the team’s upperclassmen, Akins has maintained our place as the top team from Central Texas.

In the fall, the sophomores will be able to get law internships. These internships will give students an understanding of their future career, and hands-on experience.

Students to careers in the legal profession

Makeup Club

Senior Jaiden Alexander started a new club at Akins this year that meets during FIT on Thursday in English teacher Patty Bouranis’ classroom, RM 133. Alexander said she started the club to show people who are interested in makeup new techniques. She said she hopes she can help people find new ways they can do their makeup.

“I noticed how there wasn’t really any girly club at Akins so I wanted to start a makeup since I’m more interested in makeup,” she said.

Alexander said the most popular thing she helps students with is eyeshadow.

“We often want to learn more about contour, and how to start off for your base,” she said. “So I just teach them like what colors I started off with and what to do step by step.”