Twilight helps students

Information courtesy of Dylan Gerald.

Brenda Amaya-Rangel, News Editor

More than 300 students took advantage of the credit recovery, TAKS test book camp or other courses offered through the Twilight program, which began at Akins last year.

Although Twilight is mostly a credit recovery program it can also be an advancement opportunity. Students who want to get ahead with their required credits can take health or speech to free up room in their schedule.

The program helped 63 seniors graduate, According to data provided by Twilight coordinator Dylan Gerald. Eighteen students earned 20 half-credits through a Fall Credit Recovery program while 99 credits were earned by students taking computer-based courses with the approval of a counselor.

“I talk to every student who needs it and any students are welcomed to come,” program coordinator Dylan Gerald said.

The Twilight program is designed to assist students who are at risk of dropping out so not all students are eligible for the program. Students need to be referred by a teacher for the program or in some cases approved by a counselor and Gerald.

“I really like the fact that we have such a great opportunity here at Akins I do wish students wouldn’t fail classes, but of course that happens,” AHA counselor Kathleen Coughlen said.

Twilight is offered at every high school in Austin ISD. Students in this voluntary after-school program work at their own pace on computer-based courses that are held Monday through Thursday in the library computer lab.

Students attend twice a week on days they choose for at least an hour and a half between 4:30 – 7:30 p.m. Snacks and late bus passes are provided.

“Last year in Twilight I did enjoy the advantages the program offered,” junior Adrian Carreno said. “It actually helped me out quite a bit.”

This year the program started on Sept. 3 and is still accepting applications for participants although not all students can be admitted to the program.

Students who are interested in Twilight or Jumpstart can still sign up with Gerald in room 161 or with their academy counselor.

“I think either one of the programs are appropriate for any students honestly,” Coughlen said. “They just have to be guided to which program is the best fit for them. If we look at the Twilight program there is only a handful of students I have not suggested it too, but these students have discipline issues or they don’t have the self motivation to do self-paced credit recovery.”