Simmons on maternity leave

Maheen Anjum, Features Editor

Seniors got a shock when they discovered that a key person they expected to help them get into college would not be around for a large chunk of the school year.

College and Career adviser Sarah Simmons left campus in early September so she could have her baby who was born on Sept 23.

“I was so stressed when I first found out that Mrs. Simmons was leaving,” senior Malik Smith said. “It’s going to be very difficult applying for colleges without her.”

Simmons worked in advance to train her temporary replacements Jessica Enyioha and Lilliana Doñes.

“They are a great resource and have a lot to offer,” Simmons said.

They are both college graduates and have had experience with assisting seniors make the transition from high school to college before.

“Both of us are very excited to work with new students this year to help them achieve their goals,” Enyioha said.

According to Simmons, admission applications should be complete and during the spring semester financial aid applications should be submitted.

“If you’re not stressed out about senior year, then you’re not doing some- thing right,” Simmons said.

Simmons makes a request for all seniors to go to the CCC as often as possible and to not be afraid to talk to both Doñes and Enyioha.

“Ms. Doñes helped me out right away,” senior Trey Aguirre said. “I’m glad Mrs. Simmons chose her as a re- placement while she’s away.”

Simmons also wants seniors to finish online applications, test scores, and pay college fees before Halloween.

“Anybody who thinks that senior year is easy they’re not preparing themselves for life after high school,” said Simmons.

Simmons leaves a few tips for seniors completing college applications.

“Trust yourself with college applications,” Simmons said. “don’t pay a cent for college financial aid, and make sure to look at the instructions on applications.”

“If you’re not stressed out about senior year, then you’re not doing something right,” Simmons said.

“Trust yourself with college applications,” Simmons said. “don’t pay a cent for college financial aid and make sure to look at the instructions on applications.”