FAFSA completion new prom requirement

Administrators release full list of requirements to attend annual gala

Akins+administrators+announced+the+requirements+to+attend+the+2015+prom+this+week.+

Akins administrators announced the requirements to attend the 2015 prom this week.

Nic Sokolowski, News Editor

A new push to have students complete and send in the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible has caused tension between Akins students and staff.

“We’re trying to help you get access to financial aid, why not accept it?” College and Career adviser Sarah Simmons said.

Simmons and the Interim Principal, Brandi Hosack, have lead the initiative to make submitting a completed FAFSA another requirement to attend prom.

Some seniors are not happy about the new requirement; however, there are some possible benefits for students other than just the chance to receive money to pay for college.

“If students are on free or reduced lunch, there is the Pell Grant that offers between $2,300 and $5,700. As with all grants, that is money that doesn’t have to be payed back,” Simmons said.

A Federal Pell Grant is money that is given based on financial need and is awarded from the federal government as a way to give to students who need it to pay for college.

We’re trying to help you get access to financial aid, why not accept it?

— Sarah Simmons, College and Career adviser

Because 84 percent of the Class of 2013 qualified for free or reduced lunch, that means that most of the Class of 2014 is likely eligible for the Pell Grant as well.

Seniors who aren’t eligible for the Pell Grant for any reason will still have the opportunity to gain helpful incentives.

“Besides being necessary for prom, the Chamber of Commerce is hosting a competition to the school who completes the most FAFSA’s by March 1. The winner gets a DJ for prom, and we’ve won two times in a row,” Simmons said.

Also, 10 random students who complete their FAFSA will have the chance to win a wristband to ACL 2015, and 10 scholarships of $1,000 each will be awarded to students who register and submit their FAFSA at a Financial Aid Saturday session.

“We’ve been wanting to get many students going to college and getting a degree,” Simmons said, “They have a greater chance if they fill it out because financial aid is a big determining factor on whether or not they actually do go to college, which is why everyone should apply for it.”

On the other hand, juniors who are going to prom with a senior do not have to fill out a FAFSA.

A few students who started the financial aid search early have already received scholarship offers.

“Ms. Enyioha recommended the HS Relations Scholarship to me, and the requirements weren’t too difficult,” senior Ashley Dee said. “There was an essay on my future plans for college and I had to send in two letters of recommendation, but with those I got help from an english teacher and my counselor,” Dee said.

She rated it as an easy scholarship to apply for, but it also helped that she had good grades while applying.

“It actually took a while because I was juggling between keeping up my grades, band, and a busy life,” Dee said. “But I think if I was more organized, it would’ve probably taken less than a week for everything to be done.”

Since the scholarship is renewable, she plans on reapplying for it. She also recommends for any students who are looking for scholarships to start by making a list and keeping track of deadlines.

“Organization is definitely important,” Dee said.

Another student also knows what it is like going through the scholarship application process.

“Some school’s came offering to me and so it took a while to determine which one was the right one,” senior Omar Bailey said, “But the overall total amount I get from my sports scholarship hasn’t been determined yet.”

The school will be holding a FAFSA night that will help out families that need more info about the process. However they will not actually complete the financial aid forms during the session in the theater on Thursday from 6 to 7 p.m.

Requirements to attend 2015 Prom:

• No ALC for the school year
  • Must receive credit in 6 out of 8 classes in the Fall 2014
  • Must pass 6 out of 8 classes for the 4th & 5th six weeks
  • No more than 5 absences per class for the Spring 2015
  • No 3-day suspensions for the Spring 2015 semester
  • Completion of FAFSA/TAFSA applications
  • No library/textbook/AP/other fee obligations