Pep rallies should not stop when football season ends

Stephanie Valle, Editor-in-Chief

After a long day of hard hitting the books, there is nothing like a pep rally to get people excited.

With the music, the dancing and the cheering there are always students who look forward to attending a pep rally whether it’s at the gym in the morning or outside in the courtyard for the afternoon. However, as football season came to an end, school spirit seemed to disappear along with all the big pep rallies even though basketball season and wrestling season were barely starting up.

We typically would have some pep rallies held before school and at the end of the school day however; more students are likely to attend the afternoon rallies than they are to attend the morning rallies.

Half the time most of the student body is oblivious to the fact that there is a pep rally going on in the morning and when they do find out, it’s too late. By the end of the day, students are wiped out and won’t

even remember about the pep rally that happened that very morning causing them to be less motivated to go to the game.

I believe school spirit reached an all time high in October with all the football games, and homecoming, which increased the amount of participation in the spirit activities.

Pep rallies are known for gathering a large group of people before a big sporting event to get school spirit going and to show support for the team that’s going to play.

Here at Akins we have the cheerleaders, Diamonds, Sapphires, the hip-hop team and the band, which all occasionally do performances in front of the student body in order to get the excitement going and to keep it going.

Although all the music, cheering, and dancing are amazing, a pep rally’s main focus is still for the sporting event being held. It’s unfair that during the fall season there’s a pep rally almost every week and yet as soon as the fall season is over, the pep rallies all disappear along with football, as if all sporting events are over and done.

The fact remains there are many other sports, events and organizations that could benefit from pep rallies. Even a pep rally before STAAR testing could benefit the school by adding to excitement to do well.