Students need to take initiative to become informed

Regina McGough, Guest Contributor

Every spring our counselors and academy coordinators begin working with students to schedule classes for the following year. But the process doesn’t start in the spring. The process for setting the schedule for fall classes begins in November.

Each November, counselors, assistant principals, department chairs, academy coordinators, and teachers work together to determine which classes our campus will be able to offer the following year.

Akins is a very unique campus with specialized courses in a variety of areas. With this unique scheduling comes a puzzle like plan to determine what courses we can offer.

As you may be aware, teachers are required to hold a teaching certificate that states they are able to teach a subject area. Certain courses, such as AP courses, Project Lead The Way courses, and certification courses require additional training for teachers. This additional training can be 1-2 days or up to 2 weeks per class. One teacher on campus this year, spent six weeks last summer in training to be qualified to teach a weighted course.

After determining what classes our campus would like to offer, the task is then to determine who will be available to take the class and who will be able to teach it. In some cases, offering a new course whole school is not possible because the teacher is piloting the course and may not have room in their schedule. In other cases, the course will be offered whole school in its second year at Akins as availability of teaching slots opens up.

In December, the choice sheets first draft is made and funding for courses is determined. January is finalizing choice sheets.

This is when the counselors begin scheduling students.

In order to determine which classes you will want to take, counselors, teachers, department chairs, and academy coordinators begin advertising the new courses for their subject areas. Information is sent out through advisory, and on the school website.

Check out the new school website if you haven’t had a chance. It is really great and you can get more information than ever.

In addition, each spring, usually in late January or early February, Akins hosts an Academy Fair. This is an opportunity for each academy to show off their majors and the amazing student work.

This is a great opportunity to become informed about what new courses will be available in the fall. With the addition of the new @AkinsAISD Twitter account. It’s possible to get the information from there, as well.

One of the challenges of scheduling is making sure all students and families are informed of pilot courses, new courses, or additional academic opportunities.

One way to make sure you are informed is to ask your counselor. Ask your Academy Coordinator. Ask your advisor. Ask your teachers. Speak up.