AISD dress code disallows wearing hats

Eliana Gutierrez, In-Depth Editor

Let us establish one vital piece of information right o the bat, I love hats, they’re my safety blanket. So of course I’m an advocate for wearing hats whenever you want, wherever you want. e en- tire backseat of my car is littered with caps so I can rotate whenever

I feel the need. All summer I felt this freedom and it was pure bliss. then by a rather unfortunate turn of events, school began and hats were not allowed. Everyday the hallways are filled by the icy voices that disrupt my inner peace, “TAKE OFF YOUR HAT.”

So why can’t we wear hats in school?

Aside from the fact the we are property of the school not human beings who make their own choices about what they wear, there are a few arguments by anti-hat activists/administration.

First, hats are a distraction to the learning environment paid for by my parent’s taxes. Now personally, and to emphasize a personal example, a hat is just a baseball cap. Not a pirate hat though I don’t think Patchy would find it a nuisance either.

If anything I feel I can focus more and isolate my line of vision while wearing a cap. For other students who are not wearing a hat, I don’t believe they feel it’s a distraction seeing as it’s an accessory, just like a headband. If you asked most other students they would say the same thing.

Second, some may argue that hats make it harder to identify people who enter the school, creating a potential danger of strangers on campus.

To a certain and rather small degree, I concur. There are SROs and administrators at every entrance of the school, true or false. True? Great. So were this to be a concern, I have no problem keeping my student ID in my pocket while I’m in the hallway so I can easily flash it if need be. That’s what they are essentially correct? Identification cards. In addition, most teachers are standing at attention beside their classroom, thus, they offer more security. So safety isn’t as big of a problem as it’s made out to be when it comes to hats.

Lastly, the idea of wearing a hat indoors is deemed disrespectful by some people.

During a pledge to our country or in a religious institution (unless required) I agree it’s against general etiquette. However, aside from that, the idea that a baseball cap inside a building is disrespectful is outdated by a century. If you see me indoors wearing a hat feel free to express your right to voice your opinion. I respect however you feel, but expect me to do so as well. People don’t intend to be disrespectful by wearing a hat, they do it in other ways.

In support of wearing hats, they offer many different comforts to each person. Maybe you’re having a bad hair day, want to accessorize your outfit, or like me, it’s just your thing. Either way the joy of wearing a hat inspires confidence.