Student competes in mixed martial arts outside of school

Curtosy of Ryder Kurkoski

Senior Ryder Kurkoski prepares for a match with the assistance of Ronny Lis at Rubicon Fight School, where Kurkoski trains regularly. Kurkoski said he hopes to make it to the UFC.

Analisa Salinas, Staff Reporter

As a young child senior Ryder Kurkoski always loved to watch Mixed Martial Arts and Ultimate Fighting Championship on television.

As the years progressed he de- cided that the UFC was where he was headed in life. Ever since he was a small kid, his ultimate goal was to become a competitor who was happy and well disciplined.

“I encourage everyone to try it even people that don’t even like fighting,” Kurkoski said. “MMA could be just a workout or just a fun time with friends. I always loved to fight, but the fact that I’m being trained to fight in different ways learning how to do this and how to do that is always intriguing.”

Kurkoski likes to challenge himself by waking up every morning to workout. He said he is always trying to become better, finding new ways to workout and juggle school and work at the same time.

“I practice whenever I can,” Kurkoski said. “I mostly wake up in the morning at 4 a.m. I don’t care if its hot or 40 degree weather, I’ll go and just start running. I’ll do pushups on the street and sit-ups at the local park. Sometimes I’ll do shadow sparring to see what I need to workout on and to see where I am successful.”

Kurkoski also trains regularly at the Rubicon FightSport gym where he gets help from his mentor and trainer Ronny Lis.

“Lis has helped me find humbleness and discipline to my body and mind,” Kurkoski said. “Trainer Lis gave me a goal and that is to strive and find a better part of me. Not only is he my trainer but he is my mentor”

As much as he spends at the gym Kurkoski has been able to become the best that he can be and more. While in between trying to keep up with school and work Kurkoski has had tournaments where he takes the time to get ready to be faced with new opponents.

He said his hardest match was his first fight.

“I walked into the cage knowing that my opponent was more skilled than I was,” he said. “I knew if I tapped now, I would give up again later on. I mounted him and he flipped me over I superman punched him. My opponent was out cold and I won.”

Kurkoski said he loves to show others what he has learned. He tries to find better ways to help others overcome the fear he has faced in the past.

Even though the UFC is his first choice if Kurkoski does not make it, he would love to coach MMA in the future.

“I enjoy teaching people who want to learn MMA. I like to give Even though the UFC is his first people the same experience that choice if Kurkoski does not make I’ve had it’s a big opportunity for me,” he said.