Documentary reveals musicians’ journey

Previous band director, Gary Foust addresses marching band during half time along with current director, Tate Fincher and previous assistent band director Chris Bronson. Foust retired this past year after numerous years of directing the marching band.

Tyler Derickson, Staff Reporter

When documentary film director Mario Troncoso was looking for a school to feature in his latest project, he was looking to contrast failure with success.

However, when he discovered the success that former Akins marching band director Gary Faust had achieved with his students, Troncoso scrapped his original concept completely.

“I was looking for a high school that had a failing band program and one that had a thriving one,” Troncoso said. “But when I found Akins I changed the focus of my story on them. Mr. Faust turned this once failing program around and made them the best that they could be.”

The film, which aired on KLRU in late August, showed how dedication and hard work pays off as the Eagles Marching Band has achieved statewide recognition with little funding for the program.

“Even though we weren’t fortunate enough to have a lot of money for band we still showed what we can do when we work hard,” senior Mia Duran said.

The film features interviews with Faust, new band director Tate Fincher, principal Daniel Girard and various students involved with the band program. The interviews explain how the marching band has excelled while by maintaining high standards and striving for excellence.

The band directors and booster group members have worked hard to raise money to help pay for the costs to participate in competitions and travel. The band has even performed at the amphitheater at the Circuit of the Americas to raise money.

“Band gives kids an opportunity to be a part of something that they love,” senior Kevin Acosta said. “It’s just sad that we aren’t being funded (enough), but the fact that we have made it this far is amazing.”

Coming away from this story Troncoso was very impressed with the group of kids and band directors that he came into contact with throughout the shooting of the documentary.

“I have been involved with a lot of stories and I’ve filmed many documentaries, but this one was a little bit different for the fact that Gary was very passionate with what he did,” Troncoso. “He went above and beyond what most people do. He was an interesting character and he inspired me to be proud of what I do. Stories are great, but without people in them they won’t amount to anything.”

With Fincher taking over as the band director this year, the program is undergoing a transition as former director Faust has moved on. Fincher said he hopes to keep the quality of the program strong even as the program continues to face financial obstacles.

“It’s going to be a lot of responsibility taking over as lead director, but I love this school and the band program so the main responsibility for me is to make sure the school and band are successful more than anything,” he said.

The band looks to gain more support through their accolades and presentations such as this documentary.

“To get even better we need to not only work hard, but also work smart,” Fincher said. “We need to pay attention to detail and substance and continue to raise standards and expectations