Choir director Dr.Polley leaves

Brenda Amaya-Rangel, News Editor

After dedicating nine years of his life to the Akins choir program, David Polley has made a choice to move on to new adventures.

He will leave at the end of this semester right after final exams are finished. Although he is leaving Akins he still plans to have a very busy schedule.

“I have lots of things that I’m still busy with,” Polley said.” I teach at Southwestern University so I’m keeping my classes there. I’m the organist at University United Methodist Church. I still have that job there. Since I live up in Georgetown I’m looking to be an accompanist for high school choirs or their solo and ensemble for choir, band and orchestra probably in the north schools.”

Since students began hearing about his retirement, choir students have speculated on what it will mean for the program. UIL competitions are coming up in spring and students are wondering who will be there to lead them through it.

“The real question is who is going to be there to teach us our music for UIL like who is going to lead us on next semester,” sophomore Veronica Lopez said.

However, Polley said he believes his students can accomplish their goals on their own.

“I think they’re going to do just fine,” Polley said. “We’re looking to find a teacher who has experience in the UIL competition.”

Polley’s career move will not only affect choir students but the musical theater program, as well. Polley helps coach vocalists and has helped with the singing arrangements for many musicals at Akins,

“In all the nine years I have known him I will miss him very much,” Siegel said. “He’s a great choir director. I have enjoyed working with him so much. He’s very easy going. I know he’s really excited about his new phase in his life. I’m just really happy for him.”