TALON Racing advances in Formula 1 competition

Johanna Dakay, Staff Reporter

After months of late hours designing and working in the manufacturing shop, Akins TALON Racing team took their Formula 1-styled model racecar to the track in January to go head to head against schools from across Texas.

At the regional meet held at the Circuit of The Americas racetrack, TALON Racing took home a third place prize at the regional competition in January, and – more importantly – the chance to compete at the national championship in Michigan. The team also picked up awards for having the Best Engineered and Fastest car at the meet.

TALON Racing’s vehicle, made of a balsa wood chassis and powered by pressurized air, took a mere 1.15 seconds to finish the 24-meter elevated race track. Team members said they believed their new suspension system is what made their car the fastest at the competition.

“Last year we designed a full car, and we realized it was a fast car but needed more design on the suspension,” said senior Erwin Neira, who is the team’s project manager. “This year we designed a better suspension. The car (design) pretty much stayed the same.”

The competition is part of Formula 1’s F1 in Schools educational outreach program. F1 in Schools functions on a global scale, giving students ages 9 to 19 the opportunity to learn STEM-related subjects by unconventional, non-profitable means, with the intent of promoting Formula 1 racing and integrating more students into engineering-based careers.

With the use of computer-based technology, teams model a design of a racing car and use manufacturing tools to shape it onto a block of balsa wood, to be raced along the track.

However, advisers for F1 in Schools programs like Juan Gonzalez, STEM Academy assistant principal, say that the program is about more than just building the fastest car.

“These students are required to learn tooling and equipment, as well as other 21st Century skills, like presenting, and technical writing,” Gonzalez said.

F1 in Schools challenges students to be practical and innovative in not only designing and manufacturing the design of their cars, but in handling sponsorships, budgeting, financial strategies and giving presentations as well.

TALON Racing was founded by Neira, manufacturing engineer James Garcia, and design engineer Hannah Holder three years ago.

Each member in TALON Racing has their own position on the team, and are assigned specific responsibilities. However, it is a collaborative, group effort to create the car and present their work to judges.

Gonzalez said the TALON students excel beyond their academic work at school.

“These kids have demonstrated the ability to excel in all areas and show us what they’re learning here in Akins High School, and what they can take to the next level,” he said.

If TALON Racing does well at the U.S.- Canada national championships the team could earn a chance to compete in the world finals in Singapore in the fall.