Teen’s journey on taking the role of a parent

It went from learning new dance routines to how change a baby diaper.  Amy Middleton former Diamond Dazzler and now mommy to be, is one of the teen moms on campus this year.

At the moment Grant Asher Bailey is still “baking in the oven” and won’t be ready to be born until January 16, 2013.

The father of baby Grant is former graduate Larry Bailey who currently is in the Navy but will be able to see little Bailey born when the day comes and is very excited for the arrival of his son

“Larry is so excited to be having a son but scared at the same time since he will not be here as much,” junior Amy Middleton said. “I can only imagine his fears, he will not be able to see his son the way I can but he is determined to make everything work out,and I believe him.”

Mother nature didn’t give Amy her monthly gift, so as suspected the results of the home test came out positive.

“I think we have all been through the stages of denial, anger, sadness, and we have come to accept it,” Amy’s older sister Julie Middleton said. “Life will be different for everyone because teen pregnancy has never occurred in our family, but we will all still love Amy and Grant just as much, if not more.”

For the most part both families and most friend’s are on board with the idea of baby Grant on the way soon, now that the initial shock is over, but of course there is still some people who haven’t warmed up to the idea of Grant arriving. There are many obstacles to face in the future.

Amy says it will be difficult in the beggining because Larry has to finish school with the Navy then will be based somewhere that won’t be in Texas, but when its possible Amy and baby Grant will move on base with Larry and become a family.

Being a new mom and a new MilSO (military significant other) has made Amy stronger.

“Her goals have changed a lot, her plans are way different then I am sure of last year,” junior Sydney Loyd said. “Now her priority is her son but I know she is going to be a great mom she already has showed she is ready, I see her as a stronger person because of all of this she is going through.”

Being a teen mom, the main goal is to stay healthy, finishing high school and to prepare as much as possible before the baby arrives. Amy is also trying to get as much sleep as possible.

“I have always loved kids though I did not plan my life like this I am ready for any challenge being a mom has to throw my way,” Middleton said. “The only thing I’m not ready for is seeing my son sad and missing his dad when he isn’t here. That is going to be the hardest.”

Larry’s family helps Amy as much as possible since he is away for the time being and gives much support to Amy and the baby.

“I think it is a miracle far from a mistake it changed my brothers future though it’s a big curve, its still a good thing,” sophomore Sierra Bailey said. “Grant is going to change a lot of peoples lives for the better my brother loves him to death and he is not even here yet, I see the difference in him and I cant wait for Larry to see him he already writes grant letters.”

Amy and Larry have all the support imaginable, though life has drastically changed because of Grant the goals that were set long ago are only modified to fit with their new family and the future ahead.

“I am really excited to have a family, I know that God is going to lead Larry and I to be the best parents we can be,” Middleton said.