Alumni return as faculty

Lala Villegas, News Editor

Although some high school students have no intention of returning when they graduate, a select few have returned to their alma mater this year to become teachers.

Four new teachers began their teaching careers at Akins this year after walking the campus as students just years ago.

The campus wasn’t a new or scary place for the teachers. Benjamin Grajczyk, an english teacher, said it was familiar and a lot less scary since he knew the layout of the school.

Nikolas De Winne, a math teacher who graduated from Akins in 2009, set the stage for students to return as teachers. Daniel Arroyo, another math teacher, came back because he said Akins is where he was inspired to become an educator.

“I wanted to come back and continue the legacy and continue the cycle,” Arroyo said.

Decreasha Goodner, a new science teacher and assistant basketball coach, said she was excited about the opportunity to return.
“I really enjoyed my time here at Akins and if I’m going to give back then I might as well give back to the Eagles,” she said.

English teacher Rebecca Redland, who has taught at Akins since the school opened, said she thinks it is nice to see alumni returning to Akins to teach. She said students can benefit from the perspective of these returning teachers.

“I actually taught Charles Morton who returned as a science teacher and coach,” Redland said. “One way that the teachers can better relate with the students is they once shared the same stress level and are able to empathize with them more.”

Some of the teachers didn’t just come back to teach, they also want to do extracurricular activities as well.

“I want to practice with tennis, help with the soccer team and also if there isn’t a math club here then create a math club,” Arroyo said.

They all said that teaching that they experienced as students has changed in terms of the style of teaching that happens now. Arroyo said that while he was still in school it was more of teacher-led instruction, but now it’s more of student-directed learning.

“The teaching hasn’t changed the generation has,” Goodner said. “We weren’t so glued to our phones like the kids are today. Students now are way more privileged. If our names weren’t on the paper it would go straight to the recycle bin.”

These teachers have been a part of Akins for a long time, and hope to continue making Akins a better place for much longer.