"Everything that concerns you"

"Everything that concerns you"

"Everything that concerns you"

Despite loss, Eagles celebrate Dr. Akins birthday

On a chilly Friday night, the Eagles football team planned to leave everything on the field against the Anderson Trojans. The Trojans had other plans taking a fast 3-0 lead on the Eagles. The Eagles responded late in the second quarter tying the game with their own field goal. The two teams went into halftime tied at three.

“Once we tied up the game, I believed we could win the game in the second half,” senior offensive lineman David Garza said.

The Trojans started to build a lead on a two yard touchdown pass with a minute left in the third quarter and a field goal early in the fourth quarter. The Eagles were shut down by the Trojans defense which allowed 37.3 points a game this season giving the Trojans their first win this season.

Despite both teams battling on the field, the crowd came together to celebrate a hero in the Austin Independent School District, Dr. William Charles Akins. Akins was the first principal of Anderson High School and is the namesake of Akins High School.

After the Diamond Dazzler’s performance with the band a red carpet was rolled out and JROTC immediately took their positions to welcome Akins onto the field where he was greeted with happy birthday posters from the Diamonds, a football signed by all the Akins players, flowers from Student Council, and a birthday cake from the cheerleaders.

Akins delivered a speech thanking everyone and explaining how he is proud of the development and growth of both schools and also mentioned that Akins high school was his favorite of the two schools.