Journalism department racks up seven national awards

For months the journalism department has been preparing to travel to San Antonio, Texas for the Journalism Educators Association and National Scholastic Press Association National Convention. The program did not have high expectations going into the competition, being the very first time for Akins to attend.

“I was very unsure about how we would do at competition,” newspaper adviser Michael Reeves said. “I thought we might do well in photography but I knew that the write-off competitions would be very difficult.”

Even with expectations being low, competing against schools that regularly attend national competitions, the publications department produced seven individual winners in competitions that ranged from writing to photography to drawing.

Five newspaper students won awards. Seniors Haleigh Wagner, John Hauser, Alex Herrera along with alumni David Valladolid all won honorable mentions in their competitions. Junior Jacqueline Rodriguez received an Excellence award.

“I was so excited when I heard them call my name,” Wagner said. “It was a great way to end my last San Antonio trip. It makes me want to work hard for the rest of the year and hopefully get a Silver Star award from Interscholastic League Press Conference at the end of the year.”

Two students form yearbook won awards. Senior Luisa Talamas and Junior Aless Luna received excellence ratings in their categories.
“I am incredibly proud of Luisa and Aless for being able to win excellence at the national level with hundreds of other competitors competing against them,” Yearbook adviser David Doerr said.

The individual awards were not the only awards that the publications department left San Antonio with. The Eagle’s Eye newspaper entered into the Best of Show competition where they placed seventh in the most competitive category, Broadsheet newspapers with 9-12 pages

“To come home with seven major individual awards and for the newspaper to win 7th place in their division Best in Show is a major accomplishment,” Reeves said.