Clubs offer services to the less fortunate during holidays

Katrina Stewart

Senior Lucia Patino helps entertain small children while their parents prepare for their family Christmas portraits.

Katrina Stewart, Staff Reporter

Senior Lucia Patino could have been at the mall, the movies, or even at home on the Saturday of December 6.
Instead she was in East Austin at the Boys and Girls Club keeping little kids entertained while their parents were getting ready to take family Christmas photos that will be treasured for years to come. Patino, a member of Akins Cares, took the opportunity to help out because it’s just something she likes to do at this time of the year.
“Seeing all those families at the event and seeing how happy they were to take their pictures made me feel happy to help them and proud to be apart of Akins Cares,” Patino said.
Patino is just one of many Akins students who have found ways to give back to their community during the holiday season.
She said that volunteering isn’t a job; it’s a gift you give to others, It’s something that brings joy to all.
Akins Key Club and Akins Cares are stepping up to help those in need this winter.
Members of Key Club, such as senior Valentina Tovar, are collecting coats and warm blankets to give to the homeless.
“I think it’s so important for people to volunteer,” Tovar said “In a way you’re giving back to your community and helping those out there, but it’s also making you appreciate what you do have.”
Key Club also participated in Mayor’s Memories which is an event that took place at the Dove Springs Recreation Center. At the event, HEB and other stores donated about 3,000 to 4,000 brand new toys that were passed out to families who couldn’t afford to purchase Christmas gifts on their own.
“I felt good when it was over because i got to see how excited the kids were to see their favorite characters and how happy they were to give toys to other kids.” Junior Jacklynn Maldonado said.
Student Council, National Honor Society, and Key Club also collaborated on a big service project during the annual Chuy’s Parade after Thanksgiving. The clubs passed out toys to kids in the parade, which focuses on children giving to other children.
“I think it was a great experience to be able to interact with the community and see how kids can give back to other kids,” Tovar said. “It created awareness of how others are less fortunate than we are and even in a small way you are able to give back.”
Tovar wants more kids from Akins to participate, to be selfless and give back to their community, and to feel the joy that it will bring you.
Akins Cares also plans to participate in the Angel Tree Toy Distribution event that will happen between today and Wednesday. Akins Cares will be wrapping up presents for kids at the event.