New organization seeks ‘geeky’ students for activities

Stephanie Valle

Health Science teacher Teresa Delgado shows off her collection of movie character figurines.

Stephanie Valle, Editor-in-Chief

As the school year comes closer to an end, a new club is just beginning: Geek Force.

Geek Force is a club that encourages students to join who are interested in topics such as Star Trek, Disney, and Dr. Who, along with all other things that may be considered as “geeky.”

The club was founded by Social Services teacher, Teresa Delgado, who has began teaching as a Health Science teacher here at Akins since January of this year.

Delgado said she enjoys a lot of things people would usually consider nerdy, such as science fiction and fantasy stories.

“I grew up geeky so I’ve been into the whole Geek World since I was young,” Delgado said.

This geekness has furthered into her adult life as she has created many blogs dedicated to both Star Wars and Disney. Delgado said she was motivated to create the club be- cause of bullying that she has seen first hand against those who share her same passion for “geeky” things.

“I’ve unfortunately been able to see the bullying that’s been caused to little kids, like elementary school kids, because they like geeky things,” Delgado said. “I’ve seen students who are really uncomfortable with who they are because of the things that they like. I wanted to bring all those kids together and give them that safe place to geek out and meet other people who might share a similar interest with them.”

Sophomores Jeniffer Lopez, Raynne Miller-Moya, Katherine Manzano, and Kiana Walker heard about Delgado wanting to begin the geek club and decided to help her start it up during their lunch period.

They all met in Delgado’s class and began brainstorming activities for the future club-to-be, including ideas such as working on blog posts, starting up podcasts, posting to social media, watching and analyzing movies, and possibly Lego building.

“I’m excited for the broadcasts,” Miller-Moya said. “We might be able to do podcasts and things like that and I think that it’s going to be so much fun.”

Students involved in the club said they want to bring unity to a group of students who might otherwise hide in the shadows.

“I like how they don’t discriminate based on what you like or what you don’t like,” Walker said. “If you like even one thing, they will accept you and who you are.”